USB cable and Sound Quality
Jun 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #706 of 783
I had compared three usb cables about a year ago and believe I posted my results on this exact thread (other wise I forget why I subscribed to it in the first place).

I compared a standard HP printer usb cable, my audioquest carbon (which I recently upgraded) and the Tellurium Q silver usb cable. I remember being impressed by the tellurium, and also guessed it on a double blind test 4 out of 6 times between my brother and friend swapping cables randomly. Now, of course that's not 6 out of 6, but I was convinced it seemed less veiled. Another weird observation I made was that the audioquest carbon sounded warmer than the stock usb cable, with more midbass presence. We're talking very minute differences, but still what I remember and noted. Also, when using the printer usb and audioquest carbon, I remember my music clipping 2-3 times per high res song (24 bit 192khz and up); whereas the tellurium q only clipped once in about an hour of listening one evening. This is what probably caused the bias in thinking that usb does make a difference; but it can also be pure coincidence.

And yes, I work in retail and I am a salesperson; but I'm one of the honest ones as I was suckered into this hobby myself 
tongue.gif
. I've always been used as a guinea pig for analyzing tracks as I have the best ears between my friends and co-workers. They don't often capture small intricate musical passages or artifacts, and I often pick them up and tell them what to listen for; it's then that they would hear them. I felt the need to try it out for myself at the time and did so. I can't say with 100% certainty if usb cables can sound different, but I am more inclined to say yes. As soon as you have different materials involved, you should expect change (not necessarily improvements).

I recently tried the audioquest diamond and ordered one as I felt it simply sounded more "correct" and transparent. The DBS system may help with noise floor as advertised, but I can't confirm. My McIntosh MC225 with the NAD M51 does seem to have less of a noise floor; but I also got new tube dampers. The HD800's on my rig do reveal a lot so there is less of a noise floor.

Still, it's so difficult to judge, that I say it's simply not worth it for most to break their heads over it. For my system and the money I put into it, I think it's very well worth it. But if you don't have a "hi-fi" system; it's not worth your time, money and paranoia.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #707 of 783
Quote:
I had compared three usb cables about a year ago and believe I posted my results on this exact thread (other wise I forget why I subscribed to it in the first place).

I compared a standard HP printer usb cable, my audioquest carbon (which I recently upgraded) and the Tellurium Q silver usb cable. I remember being impressed by the tellurium, and also guessed it on a double blind test 4 out of 6 times between my brother and friend swapping cables randomly. Now, of course that's not 6 out of 6, but I was convinced it seemed less veiled. Another weird observation I made was that the audioquest carbon sounded warmer than the stock usb cable, with more midbass presence. We're talking very minute differences, but still what I remember and noted. Also, when using the printer usb and audioquest carbon, I remember my music clipping 2-3 times per high res song (24 bit 192khz and up); whereas the tellurium q only clipped once in about an hour of listening one evening. This is what probably caused the bias in thinking that usb does make a difference; but it can also be pure coincidence.

And yes, I work in retail and I am a salesperson; but I'm one of the honest ones as I was suckered into this hobby myself 
tongue.gif
. I've always been used as a guinea pig for analyzing tracks as I have the best ears between my friends and co-workers. They don't often capture small intricate musical passages or artifacts, and I often pick them up and tell them what to listen for; it's then that they would hear them. I felt the need to try it out for myself at the time and did so. I can't say with 100% certainty if usb cables can sound different, but I am more inclined to say yes. As soon as you have different materials involved, you should expect change (not necessarily improvements).

I recently tried the audioquest diamond and ordered one as I felt it simply sounded more "correct" and transparent. The DBS system may help with noise floor as advertised, but I can't confirm. My McIntosh MC225 with the NAD M51 does seem to have less of a noise floor; but I also got new tube dampers. The HD800's on my rig do reveal a lot so there is less of a noise floor.

Still, it's so difficult to judge, that I say it's simply not worth it for most to break their heads over it. For my system and the money I put into it, I think it's very well worth it. But if you don't have a "hi-fi" system; it's not worth your time, money and paranoia.

4 out of six is hardly statistically significant... Why not retry the test but do 100 trials and if you are significant to a 5% level of significance, we may be onto something here :).

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #708 of 783
I see a trend where people believe expensive cables "only make a difference" as a testament to their expensive equipment and outstanding ears. "Of course they have to have an effect on sound, at least for my perfect and refined ears and in conjunction with my multi thousand dollar rig". The argument for cables, then, is not anymore a defense of the product, but a form of self praise.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #709 of 783
Quote:
I see a trend where people believe expensive cables "only make a difference" as a testament to their expensive equipment and outstanding ears. "Of course they have to have an effect on sound, at least for my perfect and refined ears and in conjunction with my multi thousand dollar rig". The argument for cables, then, is not anymore a defense of the product, but a form of self praise.

I have never thought of it that way. Expensive cables=golden ears=bragging rights. Mmm.... Becomes more fascinating day by day.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #710 of 783
Quote:
4 out of six is hardly statistically significant... Why not retry the test but do 100 trials and if you are significant to a 5% level of significance, we may be onto something here :).

Indeed, but that would take a long time! those 6 tries took about 20 minutes total. I should also redo this test but swap cables quickly. Not many people are willing to participate in such DBT activities lol.

Also, in no ways am I showing off my gear or my hearing abilities (I hear up to 17 khz, nothing outstanding, but I am an analytical listener). There is no self-praise in my critique, I'm just stating the facts and background of my experiences as clearly as possible. Fyi, there's nothing to be proud of in spending multi-thousands on audio!

At the end of the day, I did this for myself. The conclusion of my tests are of no value to any reader out there; zero. I recommend people respect other head-fiers' opinions and trials and have some fun trying to figure it out themselves. Hearing for yourself is always more fun, if achievable, than speculating and going into technicality and theory. Believe it or don't believe it, we don't care about your opinion!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #711 of 783
Mr. Charles,

How dare you bring facts into this.  People like Steve, regularly trumpet how the jitter is most noticeable at low frequencies.  Yet normal technical knowledge suggests the effects of jitter will be most prominent at the highest frequencies.  And then here you are doubting someone able to identify 2 pico-second differences in random timing.  That is only 25 thousandths of an inch at the speed of light in most cabling.  Why would you even question such perception?  I would think anyone can audibly hear differences like that at the speed of light.  Yet do you really doubt it?  Are you possibly even serious about this? 

Yes, I am afraid my post is somewhat sarcastic.  Please excuse me.  There is after all money to be made here.  Nothing else could possibly matter.  Nothing I tell you.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #712 of 783
Quote:
Mr. Charles,

How dare you bring facts into this.  People like Steve, regularly trumpet how the jitter is most noticeable at low frequencies.  Yet normal technical knowledge suggests the effects of jitter will be most prominent at the highest frequencies.  And then here you are doubting someone able to identify 2 pico-second differences in random timing.  That is only 25 thousandths of an inch at the speed of light in most cabling.  Why would you even question such perception?  I would think anyone can audibly hear differences like that at the speed of light.  Yet do you really doubt it?  Are you possibly even serious about this? 

Yes, I am afraid my post is somewhat sarcastic.  Please excuse me.  There is after all money to be made here.  Nothing else could possibly matter.  Nothing I tell you.

Who are you referring to by Steve?

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #713 of 783
Quote:
Who are you referring to by Steve?

The guy from Emperical Audio I think. He's all over the jitter discussions elsewhere in the forums. My understanding is that the guy has such outstanding hearing, that he's got a premier audio system out of necessity, because anything less than femtosecond jitter would sound to him the way nails on a chalkboard do to mortals.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #714 of 783
Quote:
The guy from Emperical Audio I think. He's all over the jitter discussions elsewhere in the forums. My understanding is that the guy has such outstanding hearing, that he's got a premier audio system out of necessity, because anything less than femtosecond jitter would sound to him the way nails on a chalkboard do to mortals.

I see, he must be an owl or a bat. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #715 of 783
Quote:
I see, he must be an owl or a bat. 

I work with bats. I'd be very curious to see a head transfer function for some of the ones with freaky ears and noses!
Despite their ears, I think femtoseconds are still too fleeting for them. Humans can learn to echolocate too....

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #716 of 783
Quote:

I compared a standard HP printer usb cable, my audioquest carbon (which I recently upgraded) and the Tellurium Q silver usb cable. I remember being impressed by the tellurium, and also guessed it on a double blind test 4 out of 6 times between my brother and friend swapping cables randomly. Now, of course that's not 6 out of 6, but I was convinced it seemed less veiled. 

Even according to your position, a full on third of the times you spent concentrating on nothing else, you couldn't distinguish between a free product and a ~$300 product.

And you are proud of that?

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #717 of 783
Quote:
I work with bats. I'd be very curious to see a head transfer function for some of the ones with freaky ears and noses!
Despite their ears, I think femtoseconds are still too fleeting for them. Humans can learn to echolocate too....

That is quite extraordinary. What do you do with bats?

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #718 of 783
Quote:
Even according to your position, a full on third of the times you spent concentrating on nothing else, you couldn't distinguish between a free product and a ~$300 product.

And you are proud of that?

All cables were in-store product, and I don't see what you point on being proud of it is all about. The cables I own cost less than 300$.

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #720 of 783
Quote:
All cables were in-store product, and I don't see what you point on being proud of it is all about. The cables I own cost less than 300$.

My point is that when comparing a free product to a $300 product, the ability to distinguish the $300 product from the free only 66.6% of the time is hardly a ringing endorsement, and likely proof of the fact that any differences you "heard" were not a result of purely auditory experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back