USB-C cable from mac pro to Dac recommendations
May 23, 2023 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ericsdsu1987

Head-Fier
Does it matter the quality of the USB-C cable that goes from my mac pro to my dac? Or since it basically carries information rather than sound, is it safe to say any decent usb-c cable is fine? Any recommendations? Dac is going to be a decent distance away from my USB-C cable.

As a side note, just spent a ton on dac + amp + headphones, so I will get a streamer soon, but I also need a usb-c going to computer at all times as an option since I do alot of video editing and I need a connection that won't lag at all (bluetooth lags several frames).

May 23, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 11
Does it matter the quality of the USB-C cable that goes from my mac pro to my dac? Or since it basically carries information rather than sound, is it safe to say any decent usb-c cable is fine?
No, it doesn’t matter, as long as it is actually a USB-C cable, IE. It is actually a certified USB-C cable rather than some eBay knockoff that’s illegally using the USB-C label/logo. So any certified USB-C cable will do, it doesn’t even really need to be “decent”, unless you’re moving, plugging/unplugging it often. The exception would be if you’re running a cable at near the max recommended length, in which case some sort of active USB-C cable might be beneficial.

G

May 23, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Does it matter the quality of the USB-C cable that goes from my mac pro to my dac? Or since it basically carries information rather than sound, is it safe to say any decent usb-c cable is fine? Any recommendations? Dac is going to be a decent distance away from my USB-C cable.

As a side note, just spent a ton on dac + amp + headphones, so I will get a streamer soon, but I also need a usb-c going to computer at all times as an option since I do alot of video editing and I need a connection that won't lag at all (bluetooth lags several frames).
In my experience, I strongly recommend to use cables in which the "signal line" and the "power line" are separated and shielded. (eg. ddHiFi TC09S but only 10cm and 50cm are available.)
When I tested several USB-C audio cables, I found that whether the signal and power lines are electro-magneticaly isolated or not is the most important factor to affect the purity of the sound, rather than its price.

TC09S USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable (10cm / 50cm)-ddHiFi
https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/1286425.html

More long and reasonable priced cable are like these:

d+ USB Series - NEO created by OYAIDE Elec.
https://www.neo-w.com/english/d_plus/d_plus_usb_ser/

USB_OTG_Cable_comarison_2023-04-14.jpg

dusb_img01.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 11

Since the usb cable is usually the first cable in the chain, it matters alot.

Depends on your budget, as the prices on these things get astronomical.

I recently purchased this cable and I think its one of the best bang for your buck usb cables. I'm not sure if they will make a usb C termination on that cable or if its even possible with the size of the conductors. Its not ideal but you can always use an adapter.

https://gothicaudio.com/products/ne...ver-usb-cable-type-a-to-b?variant=14751629447

May 29, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 11
Since the usb cable is usually the first cable in the chain, it matters alot.
The USB cable is one of the very last cables in the chain, baring in mind that of course you’re reproducing recordings, aren’t you? The first cable in the chain is usually therefore the microphone cables. These will have the most effect because they’re analogue, often quite long (10m to over 100m) and they’re carrying a very low level signal that will be amplified 30-1,000 times. Yet even these cables have no audible effect. And also, there will likely be various/numerous other cables in the chain by the time recording, mixing and mastering processes are completed.
Depends on your budget, as the prices on these things get astronomical.
Of course they do! If some consumers are willing to pay astronomical prices, then of course some companies are going to cater to that market. In fact many will, because what company wouldn’t want to have cables made (in say China) for $5 a meter and sell them with a 20x or 100x mark up? That amount of profit margin is hard to ignore!

However, it’s a relatively small market, only the audiophile market because the pro-audio market is not suckered by the marketing. The most important cables (mic cables) cost around $2-4 a meter and digital cables such as USB-C have no effect on the data.

G

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 11
The USB cable is one of the very last cables in the chain, baring in mind that of course you’re reproducing recordings, aren’t you? The first cable in the chain is usually therefore the microphone cables. These will have the most effect because they’re analogue, often quite long (10m to over 100m) and they’re carrying a very low level signal that will be amplified 30-1,000 times. Yet even these cables have no audible effect. And also, there will likely be various/numerous other cables in the chain by the time recording, mixing and mastering processes are completed.

Of course they do! If some consumers are willing to pay astronomical prices, then of course some companies are going to cater to that market. In fact many will, because what company wouldn’t want to have cables made (in say China) for $5 a meter and sell them with a 20x or 100x mark up? That amount of profit margin is hard to ignore!

However, it’s a relatively small market, only the audiophile market because the pro-audio market is not suckered by the marketing. The most important cables (mic cables) cost around $2-4 a meter and digital cables such as USB-C have no effect on the data.

G
Lol so you've tried it, yeah thats what I thought.

Your hearing is probably destroyed at this point so I doubt you hear any difference in anything making you believe everything sounds the same.

May 29, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Lol so you've tried it,
Yes, countless times.
yeah thats what I thought.
If you thought I’ve tried it countless times, then what’s the point of asking and if you didn’t, then what you thought was obviously wrong!
Your hearing is probably destroyed at this point
You don’t know me or my hearing!
I doubt you hear any difference in anything
It’s not only me but all those I work with, plus objective measurements.
making you believe everything sounds the same.
Of course I don’t believe everything sounds the same. If I did, there would be no point to my job and I couldn’t do my job.

Of all the assertions you made in your post, not a single one of them was correct. That’s impressive, even by pure chance you should have got at least one of them right! Lol

G

May 29, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Yes, countless times.

If you thought I’ve tried it countless times, then what’s the point of asking and if you didn’t, then what you thought was obviously wrong!

You don’t know me or my hearing!

It’s not only me but all those I work with, plus objective measurements.

Of course I don’t believe everything sounds the same. If I did, there would be no point to my job and I couldn’t do my job.

Of all the assertions you made in your post, not a single one of them was correct. That’s impressive, even by pure chance you should have got at least one of them right! Lol

G
Can we see these objective measurments?

Let me guess, "I conducted research at top universities proving cables don't make a difference. Google it!"

May 29, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 11
Can we see these objective measurments?
Of course you can, if you couldn’t then they wouldn’t be objective measurements, would they? Simply plug the output of a usb-c cable into a computer then record and analyse it with free software.
Let me guess, "I conducted research at top universities proving cables don't make a difference. Google it!"
Why would you guess that? You think that only “top universities” have computers and free software? Very strange!

G

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 11
In my experience, I strongly recommend to use cables in which the "signal line" and the "power line" are separated and shielded. (eg. ddHiFi TC09S but only 10cm and 50cm are available.)
When I tested several USB-C audio cables, I found that whether the signal and power lines are electro-magneticaly isolated or not is the most important factor to affect the purity of the sound, rather than its price.

TC09S USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable (10cm / 50cm)-ddHiFi
https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/1286425.html

More long and reasonable priced cable are like these:

d+ USB Series - NEO created by OYAIDE Elec.
https://www.neo-w.com/english/d_plus/d_plus_usb_ser/

USB_OTG_Cable_comarison_2023-04-14.jpg

dusb_img01.jpg
Thank you for you comparison of USBC cables. I found another USBC cable that has separated signal line and power line: https://www.oeaudio.net/oeotg
It has a very competitive price (30$). Does somebody has any experience with this cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back