USB audio solution which does not require power supply or driver installation
Feb 19, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortes
Well, the only solution that I know verifies your conditions is:

waveterminal u24

http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=10&page=1

I have read the manual for the above product and it does seem to mention the fact that driver installation is required.
Could anyone on the boards that owns a U24 verify if it is capable of running without installing drivers on a PC where admin permission is not available i.e. where the U24 is just plugged in and used

Kunwar

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 12
I can try mine on my PC on Tuesday. On my Mac (OSX) I installed nothing. Just plugged it in and it showed up in my sound settings - worked perfect. If nobody answers your question before then I'll bring it home and try it on my PC (Win2K) without installing anything.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 12
The Xitel HiFi-Link fits the bill if you're looking for an inexpensive solution.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy
The Xitel HiFi-Link fits the bill if you're looking for an inexpensive solution.

What OracleGuy said. I've had a both Xitel HiFi-Link (mini stereo output only), and HiFi-Link Pro (RCA + Toslink Digital outs) for a year, and they just work - no fuss, no drivers, no power.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 12
I thought every hardware needs some driver......even you don't install it from enclosed CD, a system needs drivers to some communicate with the device. Am I right?

BTW in order to avoid power supply some 2.5" HDD boxes use A-B USB cable which is split into 2x A's, so you need two USB ports.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 12
the waveterminal is looking good right now.

The Xitel I have already tried but didn't go down too well.
The sound was a bit on the lo-fi end of town. I will wait until rnd confirms that it runs on his PC as well.
The best deal i have managed to find here in Australia so far is $314.
Iam wondering if buying from US would be better?
Wheer is th ebest deal on this at the moment?

Kunwar

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
I thought every hardware needs some driver......even you don't install it from enclosed CD, a system needs drivers to some communicate with the device. Am I right?

BTW in order to avoid power supply some 2.5" HDD boxes use A-B USB cable which is split into 2x A's, so you need two USB ports.

USB generally provides up to 500mA of 5V power per port (assuming powered ports, which most are unless you're using an unpowered hub). This generally provides plenty of power for sound devices to operate, but usually not with much left over to drive some of the more power-hungry headphones out there (though this depends more on the device in question). I've never heard of a USB sound device requiring the use of 2 powered USB ports, that seems to be limited to those 2.5" drive enclosures.

Windows (at least 2000 and XP) has stock drivers that will work with devices that comply with the USB audio device standard. Some devices require drivers anyway (like the M-Audio Transit). Some don't but will afford you extra features if you do install the included drivers (like the Waveterminal, which gains ASIO support).

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 12
I finally got around to trying the Waveterminal on the PC at work. WinXP SP2 with no admin rights - pretty locked down actually - and it works like a charm. Two seconds after plugging it in it shows up as "U24" and Windows starts using it. That machine doesn't have a sound card otherwise so I don't know if that makes any difference. Works just like that on Mac too, but you have to select it in the sound control panel. Man does this little thing sound good.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back