USB audio solution for desktop hackintosh?
Jul 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gabedamien

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Did a search but didn't find anything specific. Short version: I need a USB audio device to replace internal sound card and serve both analog and digital audio to several components.

Context

I'm building an mATX hackintosh soon. The downside to mATX hackintoshes is that there's no one motherboard with quite the OS X compatibility of certain ATX mobos; specifically, I'll be going with a Gigabyte Z77-MX Thunderbolt board that has native sleep/wake with no DSDT, but fails in one very important respect: audio. Its VIA chipset has a kext available to get it to sort-of work, but reviews are pretty harsh on that front.

The good news is that I actually don't care that much if onboard audio won't work well, because I pretty much always intended to upgrade to better (external) audio anyway! That's where you guys come in. Internal sound cards are iffy on hackintoshes, but USB audio works perfectly by its nature (provided there are OS X drivers!). The problem is I don't know the landscape of available options at all.

Requirements

I need USB in, Toslink (5.1) out, and analog stereo (at least two) out. An onboard headphone amp would be good. Must have OS X drivers, of course.

Price ideally around $150, but can save to about $250 if necessary.

Suggestions?

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 8
If you don't mind using two separate USB ports, you can get a USB to SPDIF convertor, then get a great budget DAC like the ODAC. That will give you one analog, and one digital output.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/449885/usb-to-spdif-converters-shoot-out-emu-0404-usb-vs-musiland-monitor-01-usd-vs-teralink-x-vs-m2tech-hiface

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Another good avenue of research, tzjin. The ODAC seems pretty well-thought-of, so I could use that for my speakers, my Total Bithead for my headphones (like I already have), and the SPDIF converter for my TV/AV. Of course, that's three USB ports down, and would mean a lot of software switching between outputs, but it's worth looking into at least. Thanks for the advice.

Still interested in all-in-one solutions, of course.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 8
OK, after a lot of searching I think I've figured out a solution I like.

The Creative X-Fi HD USB is not listed as compatible with macs (i.e. there are no drivers), but many users are reporting that it does work without any drivers, including the inputs and 5.1 optical outputs, just without any volume control (which I am fine with).

EDIT: D'oh! It doesn't have 5.1, only the "Surround" model (cheaper, with much worse headphone out) does! Well, maybe the Surround model plus my Total Bithead would suffice... the hunt continues.

Cheers,
—G

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks, that's a great recommendation, fits in my criteria nicely! I may very well go for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back