USB audio interface
Oct 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

t103Ninja

Head-Fier
hi guys
im currently using a creative soundblaster ZX sound card to drive my beyerdynamic DT770 headphones and it works pretty well but im going to be buying an XLR microphone for doing some recording and i was wondering if anyone knew how good the headphone output is?

this is the one i want to buy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FOCUSRITE-SCARLETT-SOLO-Audio-interfaces/dp/B00MTXU2DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413918007&sr=8-1&keywords=scarlett+solo

if the headphone output is decent id much rather use just the interface for recording and playback rather than having to have the interface and a sound card
any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 5
Which version of the DT770 do you have?

Assuming it's the 80 Ohm, 96dB, slight bass boost with dips at 60Hz and 4kHz version You won't have any problem. At all.

600 Ohm version - might not get the volume you want. I would buit some people like like dangerously loud.....
32 Ohm version - might end up with even more pronounced bass - which might be good or bad depending on your taste.....

Just guessing though. I don't own the headphones or interface. I can say I don't feel the least need for a dedicated headphone amp using 75 and 300 ohm headphones on similar interfaces from MOTU, Native Instruments and M-Audio. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 5
  Which version of the DT770 do you have?

Assuming it's the 80 Ohm, 96dB, slight bass boost with dips at 60Hz and 4kHz version You won't have any problem. At all.

600 Ohm version - might not get the volume you want. I would buit some people like like dangerously loud.....
32 Ohm version - might end up with even more pronounced bass - which might be good or bad depending on your taste.....

Just guessing though. I don't own the headphones or interface. I can say I don't feel the least need for a dedicated headphone amp using 75 and 300 ohm headphones on similar interfaces from MOTU, Native Instruments and M-Audio. 

i have the 250ohm and the 80ohm version on the way, the next model up is the scarlett 2i2 wich says it has an intergrated headphone amp the solo is supposed to be the same just with less inputs/outputs but it doesnt say anything about an amp

they are designed for live monitoring of microphone and instrument recording so i would imagin the headphone as to be pretty good to do that but only powered by USB i cant see it having much grunt behind it

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 5
I use DT770's (80ohm) and KRK Rokit 6's with a Scarlett 2i2. Sounds great! The only thing I can compare it to though, is a Native instruments unit I had before the Scarlett which sounded inferior. It had less volume and sounded as if the highest highs and lowest lows had been chopped off. My brother runs his DT770's through his Traktor S2 (NI) and that also sounds inferior to my Scarlett. However he uses Adam A5X's which sound like sex compared to my KRK's :) - we've never run them through my Scarlett though for a comparison.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
  I use DT770's (80ohm) and KRK Rokit 6's with a Scarlett 2i2. Sounds great! The only thing I can compare it to though, is a Native instruments unit I had before the Scarlett which sounded inferior. It had less volume and sounded as if the highest highs and lowest lows had been chopped off. My brother runs his DT770's through his Traktor S2 (NI) and that also sounds inferior to my Scarlett. However he uses Adam A5X's which sound like sex compared to my KRK's :) - we've never run them through my Scarlett though for a comparison.

alright cool so sounds like the scarlett will get the job done for me :)
thanks to both you guys for your advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back