USB Audio ---> Headphone levels too low
Feb 25, 2007 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

martijn_2m

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Today I had to choose between getting an EMU 0404 and an M-Audio FastTrack Pro for my home recording/mixing/listening setup (primarilly for mixing, mostly via headphones).

Though, for audio quality I had my mind set on the EMU, the sales rep (who told me there were more hw & sw problems with EMU 0404's than with M-audio gear) and the additional features of the M-Audio Fastrack (4 analogue outputs, usb powered, built quality) won me over, so I opted for the Fasttrack Pro.

So far so good, installed, worked, sounds good on first impression. Only one little problem: the headphone output does not have enough power to drive my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones (250 ohm). Max volume equals to my average listening volume, this is not acceptable (it is just loud enough for listening to mastered/loud audio, but not while mixing).

The headphone amp in my friend's EMU 02 CardBus Card (for his 1616) is about 10 db louder it seems.

So now I have the dilemma: do I get a separate headphone amp (HeadRoom Micro Amp for example), or do I change it for the EMU 0404 ?

Who has any advice or an experience to share? I'd also like to know if you can recommend an headphone amp that will suit the DT 990 Pro for mixing (in other words: honest/flat response). Thanks!

Regards,
Martijn

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 13
changing ur soundcard would probably give u the same amount of volume ur getting now. the 250ohm cans definitely need an amp.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 13
These USB powered devices have a limited amount of voltage (5V) and/or power available. If you're using a workstation you may want to look at a similar device with a firewire interface (12V power). If you're using a laptop you'll need AC power even for firewire.

Feb 25, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 13
a couple of points:
-there's no direct relationship between impedance and how hard it is to drive a headphone
-some people will be happy with the headphone out of their Fasttrack Pro... it depends on how loud you want to listen (and also on how hot your recording are obviously)
-my USB-powered card's headphone out is more than powerful enough for me

To the OP: first make sure you're not attenuating the volume somehow (for example with Windows' volume control). If that soundcard isn't loud enough for you while another would be, I'd get the one that's loud enough for you rather than bother with adding an amp to the chain.
This is head-fi so I'm not going to say dedicated amps are useless... but not using one is certainly more practical and more portable. Then again, if you're going to use a soundcard that's wallwart-powered, you've already got an unpractical and unportable setup so it's not going to make a lot of difference.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 13
EMU 0404 USB has a proper Class A headphone amp. Does the M-Audio FastTrack Pro? EMU 0404 USB also has external power source and doesn't get it from the USB bus. While the salesman may be correct about the software driver for the EMU 0404 I have seen nothing said anywhere that supports his comment about the hardware.

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 13
The headphone amp for the Fasttrack Pro is not listed as Class A. It does have an optional 9v PSU input, but I am not sure that that will help (will try that later, have to get a suitable adapter).

I just tried it with a simple Sony mdr-CD370 headphone (yes, I own one .. hope that doesn't get me kicked of the forum
wink.gif
). Levels are the same, not loud enough. I guess I misinterpreted the effects of the ohmage versus the volume (as HFat pointed out).

From what I read here, I would assume that even with the proper class A headphone amp of the EMU 0404 I would still need a hp-amp to drive the 990's.

Allthough this would mean another device with a psu, this is not too bad, 'cause this is the setup I mainly use at home. When I take the notebook and soundcard to my studio (or elsewhere) to record I usually use my Shure E3's.

thanks for the advice.

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 13
I would be very surprised if the headphone amp in the 0404 USD failed to satisfactorily drive even your 250 ohm headphones.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 13
.. today I exchanged the fasttrack pro for the EMU 0404. Besides solving all my ASIO driver and input/output issues (all 4 interfaces available anywhere anytime, without issues), it also resolves the headphones issue. As said in previous posts, the EMU is perfectly capable of driving my 990 pro. There is plenty of level now (12 o'clock is now my average listening level).

Thanks everyone for your advice.
MM

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Do you guys think the E-MU is able to properly amp the AKG? I've seen someone on the forum complaining tha he doesnt get enough juice from E-MU to drive satisfactory his 501'. Anybody with AKG and E-MU who can back up on that?

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by martijn_2m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. today I exchanged the fasttrack pro for the EMU 0404. Besides solving all my ASIO driver and input/output issues (all 4 interfaces available anywhere anytime, without issues), it also resolves the headphones issue. As said in previous posts, the EMU is perfectly capable of driving my 990 pro. There is plenty of level now (12 o'clock is now my average listening level).

Thanks everyone for your advice.
MM

Hey, have you noticed a better sound coming from the Fast Track Pro? More detail, etc.? Thanks

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, have you noticed a better sound coming from the Fast Track Pro? More detail, etc.? Thanks

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I've got a $100 gift card to Best Buy and I'd love to use it if the Fasttrack would be the better choice of ther 0404.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think the E-MU is able to properly amp the AKG? I've seen someone on the forum complaining tha he doesnt get enough juice from E-MU to drive satisfactory his 501'. Anybody with AKG and E-MU who can back up on that?

Listening to the K501s with the 1820m the volume control is barely above zero. With any other headphones it would be very difficult to control the volume. The 0404USB headphone amp has the same specs as the 1820m so is probably the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back