USB audio advice needed...
Sep 23, 2004 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good quality USB audio device to run from my laptop at work. I have a decent selection of portable amps for office use, but the headphone jack on my laptop really blows.

I'm aware of the total bithead (I own a total airhead), but that isn't really what I'm after.

Anyway, I did some google searchin' and stumbled across this unit:

http://www.midiman.com/products/en_u...eUSB-main.html

If anyone has any experience with this unit that they could share, I'd really appreciate it.

To me, it looks like a fairly sweet unit, but it's more than I need really. All I'll probably ever use are the analog outputs. The rest of the features are kind of a waste for my needs...so any advice on a simpler unit with fewer bells & whistles (but still of good quality) would also be very welcome.

Peace,

Graz

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 9
You might also want to look at the M-Audio Transit. I've been pleased with the the sound and performance. Do a search and you will turn up a lot of information.

BW

Sep 23, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but does the transit have an umaplified "line out" for use with an external amp. I checked the M-audio website and it seems the "line out" is actually a headphone jack. Is this correct?

Sep 23, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes. The Transit has an opamp on the "line-out" so it is capable of driving headphones and long wire runs, while the original Sonica (not to be confused with the craptacular Sonica Theater) has the DAC directly connected to the line-out, making it incapable of driving headphones or long wire runs, but better sounding because there is one less items in the way of the audio signal.

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks to all for the input...

The transit looks like it's probably not what I'm after. I definitely want line-level outputs. Surely there must be something else out there...???
confused.gif
Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I could build my own...hmmm...

Peace,

Graz

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
The transit looks like it's probably not what I'm after. I definitely want line-level outputs. ...
Graz

The transit has line level output as well as digital. I think it works great. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it works. I wouldn't claim that it can compete with high end DACs but as a $70 USB DAC it is an excellent value.

-Z

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Why don't you think the Total Bithead is what you want? I certainly haven't tried every DAC, but I'm currently using a Total Bithead as a DAC driving a NAD integrated amp. I believe the sound quality is significantly better than my Revolution 7.1 or Audiophile 2496. This is for CD-resolution data. The Total Bithead is limited to 44.1 K, so it wouldn't be the preferred choice for DVD-A or other higher resolution media.

Based on the specs, the DAC in the Total Bithead ought not to be as good as those on many sound cards. I can only conclude that they analog circuitry is better, and the theoretical advantage of the other DACs doesn't matter as much in practice. (Can your system really deliver more than 93 db of dynamic range?)

The main disadvantage I see to the Total Bithead is that using USB power it doesn't go as loud as some amps, and I don't really want to change batteries. When used simply as a DAC (which is what I'm doing now) the output level isn't critical.

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Hedrick,
Nothing against the TBH at all. I love the headroom products and the company...I've done much business with them. I just didn't wanna spend that much $$ since I already have other portable headamps for office use that I would prefer to use.

Anyway, I picked up a Creative SoundBlaster USB device today. Link here:

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=154

Price paid was around $40 USD.

Installation was a breeze, and functionally it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. I've been listening to it for the last hour or so & so far so good. A definite improvement over the noisy headphone jack setup I was using previously.

Thanks for everyone's input here.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back