USB-ASIO Vs ASIO4ALL
Nov 1, 2006 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using ASIO4ALL with Foobar since last month. I came to know about USB-ASIO (which is another version of ASIO) and I downloaded its demo version. It took long time to configure it with my Foobar but however successfully completed last night. Since it's the demo version, it annoys me with a beep every 30 seconds. Irrespective of the annoyance I kind of feel it's SQ is slightly better than ASIO4ALL.

Is there anybody using USB-ASIO successfully? How do you feel about its SQ?

I can't control volume control from both Windows as well as USB-ASIO's control panel. I can understand why my Windows volume control is not usable but I wonder why Ican't control volume from my external

I'm thinking of buying TotalBitHead but I'm not sure if Foobar+USB-ASIO-->TBH will work fine. If anyone is using this setup please tell me whether it is worth to buy ~$50 USB-ASIO rather than using free ASIO4ALL.

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Based on the question it appears that you believe asio4all is actually true asio; in fact it's a wrapper for windows. It sort of fools the applications to think they are using asio drivers, it is not the full real asio. No doubt someone will explain the shortfalls for one and all.

I bought the usb-asio simply to try it without the annoying beep every 30 seconds but for my computer I found usb drivers picked up too much interference - I've switched to using optical out from my emu0404. But I was using it on a Shuttle which are very compact and components are very close so it could be just my setup.

To be honest if you can hear a difference you are the only one who can judge if that difference is worth $50 to you!

You may wish to add which usb soundcard (or device) you are currently using to get a better response.

Steve

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Murugesh, check out the ASIO 4 ALL thread about six below this one in this forum--especially the posts of Bones13--for answers to your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back