USB ASIO Support for External DACs
Apr 17, 2009 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

The Drivers from USB-Audio.com made a significant difference over the emulated ASIO4All drivers. I do not suggest using them if your USB DAC already has ASIO supported hardware drivers. This is for those who have to use ASIO4All becaue their USB DAC does not have ASIO drivers.

The Compass does not have ASIO support directly from Audio-gd. But the USB-Audio ASIO drivers works perfectly with the Compass USB Burr Brown PCM2707 Input.

I'm sure if others have a USB input similar should have great experience also. You can try the demo for free, which has a beep every 30 seconds. But I found it worth it to have the full version. Sounds amazingly better than ASIO4All and the setup with your media player is a lot easier also.

Remember, there are 3 different drivers for PC. One is for Windows 2000/XP. Vista Beta ONLY. Windows XP 64 ONLY.

There are two for Macs. OS X, and OS 9.

Please be sure you install the CORRECT driver or for PC users especially, you will have the blue screen of death constantly.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 43
I'm trying to get this to work with my y1, and I hear beeps every 30 seconds or so, but I'm not getting any sound. I get sound if I use ASIO4ALL, but I think it defeats the purpose of the driver... None of the selections from foobar except for ASIO4ALL's entry output any sound, like how the kernel streaming plugin for Foobar doesn't work with my DAC. Is there something I overlooked? Or is my DAC not very ASIO driver friendly? The y1 uses the PCM2707 as well, maybe I didn't set something up right. I can't find this control panel thing as well.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 43
Asio4all works great with DacMagic, no asio4all needed with EMU0404 as it has its own asio control

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 43
ASIO4All is not a true driver. It's just an emulator, not the same. There is considerable difference using REAL drivers than an emulation, as it it's been confirmed by other Compass users.

This thread isn't about ASIO4All, if you want to discuss that, please do so in the innumerable other threads that does discuss it.

@ ShinyFalcon, I don't know what the Y1 is and it's compatible with the drivers. You may have just set it up wrong also.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A
@ ShinyFalcon, I don't know what the Y1 is and it's compatible with the drivers. You may have just set it up wrong also.

you don't know about the AMB gamma1?
wink.gif
really?

its the burr-brown 27xx chip series - so its bog-standard usb audio protocol.

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u can try the demo for free

but the complete version cost 44 euro

so the OP linked us to a trial version?

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 43
Wow, this does indeed sound quite a bit better than ASIO4All. Thanks for the heads up - I too was skeptical with regards to a driver making a difference, but it was immediately noticeable (lower noise floor, "clearer" signal). Oh, and installed without a hitch with my Trends UD10.1/Foobar setup.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sure seems like its not a 'usb audio' organization but rather a company in germany SELLING drivers.

feh!

usb-audio does NOT NEED drivers, folks. you are being scammed, I think.

usb audio does not need drivers because win xp or vista have the drivers already
however what the OP stated is that the company sell drivers for USB ASIO which is much better than the free usb asio drivers out there currently

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the OP linked us to a trial version?

Yup..technically is the trial version which beep 30 seconds each time
Until u decide to buy the license which cost 44 euro

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
usb audio does not need drivers because win xp or vista have the drivers already
however what the OP stated is that the company sell drivers for USB ASIO which is much better than the free usb asio drivers out there currently

Yup..technically is the trial version which beep 30 seconds each time
Until u decide to buy the license which cost 44 euro

now it costs around 55€ :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back