USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Aug 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Nope. Use the search, this has been discussed before.

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 4
USB 2.0 shouldn't affect sound quality, nor is it supposed to affect real-time data transfer of audio into or out of a DAP. But others may have experience with stuttering or freezing of music play that I haven't had.

[I'll tuck the below gripe in here, so it's searchable and so maybe I can let it go somewhat.]

I do wish DAP makers would upgrade connectivity from 2.0 (18 years old now) to at least USB 3.0, now called 3.1 Gen 1 ("only" 8 years old)--for music file/folder transfers or revisions. USB 2.0 is 10 times slower than 3.1 Gen 1. I realize it's also a read/write hardware speed thing, so that'd cost more $ and physical device space, though IDK how much.

I don't mind some screen/UI lag time as much as the lag time of removing a protective case, unmounting a memory card or powering off the device, plucking out the card, using a card reader and then doing the reverse. Then, whoops, the DAP misread some tracks as "unknown artist," so I have to do it all again.

There's an argument that it's better to swap memory cards in and out to lessen wear on an expensive DAP's cable port, but those ports are already used all the time for charging and there can definitely be wear trying to extract or insert memory cards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back