USB 2.0 or Firewire
Nov 12, 2003 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry I know this is not entirely relevant to the forum, but I need to know what to stick in my PCI slot to connect to my iPod. Which is faster out of USB 2.0 and Firewire?

Nov 12, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
Sorry I know this is not entirely relevant to the forum, but I need to know what to stick in my PCI slot to connect to my iPod. Which is faster out of USB 2.0 and Firewire?

USB 2.0 is faster in theoretical terms, but Firewire is faster in real terms. Firewire relies on its own bus controller, so it doesn't need to use the computer's processing power. Either one is going to transfer data at incredibly good speeds, but the Firewire will integrate better with the iPod (so you don't need the two-headed monster cable from Apple).

--Chris

Nov 12, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you very much.
I was worried when I noticed something about a PC USB adaptor on the apple site, especially given that i've already ordered the pod, but now I know I won't have to bother.
Cheers
P

Nov 12, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
USB 2.0 is faster in theoretical terms, but Firewire is faster in real terms. Firewire relies on its own bus controller, so it doesn't need to use the computer's processing power. Either one is going to transfer data at incredibly good speeds, but the Firewire will integrate better with the iPod (so you don't need the two-headed monster cable from Apple).

--Chris

AMEN!!

USB 2.0 slows down to a crawl when transferring huge files... it's too processor dependent, and often will have "hiccups" when you're moving files...

Firewire is by far a superior standard...

Nov 14, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 12
You can get PCI cards that have two ports of each on them. Compusa has them, i know.

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 12
USB was never designed with high performance in mind. USB 2, the way I understand it, is just a bandwidth kludge. IEEE 1394 (Firewire) was designed from the very beginning to be a high bandwidth, high performance protocol for digital video and mass data transfer. So in most cases it is best to stick with FireWire if you have the option. USB is great for mice and keyboards and printers and things like that. I have yet to see it applied well to a high performance task though. And like the other guy said, it charges up your iPod while you wait. You can't lose there.
smily_headphones1.gif
Another reason to get FireWire is that it would be nice for external hard drives in the future. It is a cheap and easy way to massively expand your storage.

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 12
By far, my favorite thing about Firewire is that they daisy chain... of course, the iPod is not one of those devices that daisy chain, but I've got 2 external hard drive and a CF reader daisy chained to one of my firewire ports..

No stupid USB hubs...

Nov 14, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
By far, my favorite thing about Firewire is that they daisy chain... of course, the iPod is not one of those devices that daisy chain, but I've got 2 external hard drive and a CF reader daisy chained to one of my firewire ports..

No stupid USB hubs...

YES. At work I have countless FireWire components all spliced together, but I am always cursing the lack of USB ports. Technically the Mac keyboard serves as a mini-hub, but only for unpowered components. Things like a Wacom tablet will not work.

Most FireWire drives have two or three spare ports on the back. So you can end the chain with the iPod and card readers on them.

Nov 14, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 12
I'd have to disagree with the USB2 comments. Take a look at the Notmad stats page and you will see many of the top transfers are from USB. In fact, look for my name, sygyzy. I was continually top 5. I may have been knocked off since I no longer have a Zen. USB2 is plenty quick.

Nov 14, 2003 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Sure firewire is faster, better, superior than USB2. But in terms of speed, it doesn't really matter on mp3 players because they use smaller, slower hard drives that never reach the firewire/usb2 speed limit. For me, I get faster transfers using USB2 with my iPod. In addition, the iPod's speed is limited by its internal electronics; if you take the hard drive out and connect it to ATA, you get maybe 50-100% faster transfer speeds.

Nov 14, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 12
If you're transferring files via USB 2, then doing some other things... like browsing the web, chatting in IRC, or answering emails at the same time.. you'll slowly see USB 2 slow down to a crawl....

USB is CPU dependent, which is why the more task you're doing at the same time, the further it slows down. Firewire has its own I/O controller, it is only mildly affected by your activities.

I don't know 'bout other folks here, but I'm hardly ever just sitting in front of the computer waiting for files to transfer... If I was going to be sitting here, I may as well have been doing something else.

Forget about using USB 2.0 with just the iPod.. I've been using USB 2.0 hard drives as well as Firewire hard drives, my Firewire hard drive is always more responsive, and always end up transferring huge chunks of file faster due to the CPU related issue that USB 2.0 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back