USB 0404 and Vista = works great
Mar 5, 2008 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Halqyon

New Head-Fier
A little over one week ago I received my brand new 0404, naturally this was exciting, but things went downhill fast (used Windows XP). I heard crackles and pops when I played music, so naturally I headed over to this forum for som advice. There were lots of suggestions on how to fix this problem, I probably tried everything, but nothing seemed to work. And after one of these fixes, I suddenly got a DirectSound error (driver became corrupt), which made it impossible to listen to music with WMP, Winamp, Itunes, and various streaming services (Youtube, Realplayer, Divx etc). So I went back here and got lots of suggestions from Sejarzo and jiiteepee, but nothing seemed to work. So I decided to take the plunge, and I purchased Vista Premium.

I did a clean install, downloaded the new Vista drivers for the 0404 and so far; everything has worked well, Vista and the 0404 seem to be a perfect match.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 13
Nope, wasn't an option, had heard good things about Vista from my brother, so I opted for Vista instead. I made this thread to show people that Vista + 0404 does work, and so far I haven't experienced any problems.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halqyon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, wasn't an option, had heard good things about Vista from my brother, so I opted for Vista instead. I made this thread to show people that Vista + 0404 does work, and so far I haven't experienced any problems.

good deal, glad vista got it all sorted for you.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 13
good to know I will be able to continue to use my 0404 usb in the future if some apocalypse happens that makes me switch my music computer to vista.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 13
wow thanks for the heads up! I was under the impression the vista drivers were a nightmare and was dreading a reformat back to xp (computer came with vista and just kept it).

And IMO, Vista aint as bad as people make it out to be. This is Microsoft's MO: release an operating system before its ready and let the public response determine how to fix it. Gates I believe even said that. Not saying its ready for primetime, but i'll take it its slow stability over multiple blue screens of death any day.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 13
I've had Vista installed since the first week it was released - in that time I've had 1 issue with incompatibility (a 3-year old Lexmark printer that simple did not have drivers).

I never have nor ever will understand all of the hate for Vista; I think much of it was baseless and unjustified.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 13
I think the lack of Vista love is because there's no major reason to upgrade at this point... But let's not have that debate.
tongue.gif

E-MU released the final versions of the Vista drivers for their external interfaces, including the 0404 USB, a few weeks ago in February. Most people have reported that these new drivers/firmware work much better than the beta versions, which had been causing problems for the past year or so.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidro2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thanks for the heads up! I was under the impression the vista drivers were a nightmare and was dreading a reformat back to xp (computer came with vista and just kept it).

And IMO, Vista aint as bad as people make it out to be. This is Microsoft's MO: release an operating system before its ready and let the public response determine how to fix it. Gates I believe even said that. Not saying its ready for primetime, but i'll take it its slow stability over multiple blue screens of death any day.

In my experience, both are true. Vista is not as bad as people make it out to be, and Vista drivers are a nightmare. Basically every problem I've had with Vista has been driver related. And there were a lot of problems, particularly with sound card and graphics card drivers. But otherwise, I think Vista is great. And not just because the aero desktop thing is so darn cool. The other day something happened, the system got sluggish, and I got the message, "Windows explorer is not responding." And then something strange happened that I have never experienced with Windows before: Windows explorer apparently closed and restarted without the computer hanging or even rebooting, and everything continued as normal.

There is some rumor that Vista is a memory hog, but my 8 GB haven't had any problems with it so far.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 13
I also had 0 problems with the new vista drivers off of the site.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 13
I was pleased to read that the E-MU 0404 USB should work well with Vista using the drivers that are available on the website.

However, I plan to use the bundled Sonar Le software that ships with this hardware. Does anyone know if this will work in Vista?

Many thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Same here, I got the Behringer BCD2000 as soundcard and even that works great!
Zero incompatibility issues. Just don't try stupid things and everything will work just fine.
Besides, in 2009 with all the high/mid-end computers some eyecandy is nice too, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back