Usage of XL6009 voltage regulator for audio DAC/amplifier power source
Jul 29, 2016 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

therealbene

New Head-Fier
Has anyone tried XL6009 voltage regulator modules to produce (clean) power for use in audio circuits? 

I'll start with some background and a detailed description of what I'm intending to achieve.
I am a newbie in audio (and electronics) DIY, and I have just built my first CMOY. This is also a first thread I started.

I had successfully used two AD4627 in my CMOY, whereas OPA2134 and MC1458U have also performed flawlessly.
I drove the op-amp using ±12VDC using TLE2426 rail splitter to create virtual ground out of 24VDC supplied by XL6009 powered by 2 parallel 18650 cells.
So far, the CMOY are performing and sounding okay. Hiss is audible, which I think is not avoidable in CMOY design.

For my next project, I am intending to build DAC based on AD1865, using i2s output of YJ XMOS USB receiver available in AliExpress with connection to the DAC as described in www.pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_ad1865i2s.html
I am open to suggestion and comments about this project as well.

As I wander about the ±5VDC for analog stage of the DAC, 5VDC for digital stage of the DAC (and I guess, 5VDC for the YJ XMOS receiver), rather than using multiple transformers, I plan to repeat my strategy on using paralleling 18650 cells and regulate its voltages to ±5VDC and 5VDC using multiple XL6009 to create multiple currents as adviced in designing AD1865 DAC (separation of digital and analog power is said to increase performance). It would also render my finished DAC a (trans)portable implementation as opposed to purely desktop implementation. As I figured current consumption is not very high, I can live with charging the 18650 every now and then.
This brought me for my main question.

Has anyone tried XL6009 voltage regulator modules to produce (clean) power for use in audio circuits? 
I don't want to use this technique if it would result in more noise compared to properly implemented traditional desktop power circuit
(that is, transformer-->bridge rectifier-->decoupling capacitor power source).
Any suggestions and comments are welcomed. 

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 5
That'd be a 4 years response, wow.

I haven't been able to successfully build the DAC.

But I've build the O2 headphone amplifier by using 4 LiIon battery in series, and that enables "real ground" between two batteries. I got more than 30 hours run time with this setup. If I have time I'll revisit building the DAC again.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 5
fwiw, the xl4005 step-down modules i tried to use to power 12v fans and a meter of LED strip (about an amp? on a module rated for 5 amps or something silly?) from a 24v supply literally exploded.

Switching converters under load tend to be pretty noisy, and that noise is hard to get rid of.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 5
@ericj thank you for the remarks, I agree with you. I've seen some modules using that IC to use adequate heat sink, probably really important to take heat dissipation into account.

But just for a DAC or headphone amplifier, current draw probably will never exceed 0.2A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back