USA Wins!!!
Jun 5, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 26
Sure. The US finished dead last in the last World Cup tourney, after not winning a single game in one of the weaker first-round brackets. The fledgling professional soccer league in the US is considered a joke by the international soccer community. Soccer in the US, at least men's soccer, has very low publicity and respect compared to other sports, and doesn't get the best athletes or financial resources. Also, the US was missing two of its best offensive players for the Portugal game. Portugal is considered one of the top teams in the world, and was expected to have a fairly easy time in the first round. It's comparable to the US Olympic hockey team stunning the Russians in 1980.

On an unrelated note, is anybody else really happy to hear that the Brazilian player Rivaldo got fined $7000 for that piss-poor acting job after getting hit in the thigh before a free-kick?

Jun 5, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 26
Hey did you see Portugals owngoal in that game?? Wow, that was something I actually laughed my ass off when it happened...
eek.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
And why do you keep calling it Soccer? it's [size=medium]Football[/size] ! it's played with your feet! The rest of the world call it football!

Oh, I am shock by that win btw, Portugal underestimated the US by miles.

Because in the US we already have a game called Football. Which is played with your hands.......humph.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 26
There is already a game called Handball, and it's a major game played throughout the world.

Maybe they should call US Football "Muggle Quidditch"... Or have I seen Harry Potter too many times this week?

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin

it should be renamed to [size=medium]Handball[/size] - with enough armour to hunt down Osama Bin Ladin with.
wink.gif

sorry, there's already a game called handball!

GAH! someone beat me to it!

Jun 6, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Yes, football is your game, and you play with your hands, but we call it Rugy.

And I always thought it was called rugby, go figure
wink.gif

Anyways, where does "soccer" come from anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back