US verson of iHP-120 is black!
Oct 13, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 45
iriver_ihp120rev_img_06.jpg

on the right is iHP-100's leather case...which had a flip top...but makes the player quite thick.
left is ihp-120's leather case (hopefully the one we'll get). it barely adds any thinkness to the player

both of them has full access to the buttons

Oct 13, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 45
iriver_ihp120rev_img_08.jpg
iriver_ihp120rev_img_23.jpg

Oct 13, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

@mmortal i really think u should reconsider the karma purchase and get this baby, cause this looks sweet! the karma hasnt been all that impressive as it was hyped to be, and the ihp has alot more features, all for the same retail msrp. also the 90 day warranty that u get with the karma is kinda skimpy, id be worried about it breaking down. just my two cents tho

The annoying part is that no one has been able to compare them versus each other because the iHP-120 isn't out yet. Originally, I wanted to get the Karma over the iHP-100 because it had more hard drive space, supported FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, was comparatively cheaper, and was to release a lot sooner than the iHP-120.

Now, with these price drops by iriver, price is not an issue (I got my Karma 20 for 330 after rebates, but the iHP-120 now has prices offered at stores in that ballpark as well).

The iHP-120 now plays Ogg Vorbis, and it hit me that FLAC support doesn't matter for me on a portable player.

The iHP-120 is mountable as a hard drive, no extra drivers to install, but actually, the Karma's journaled filesystem doesn't bother me all that much (even though I DO have all my music organized into directories). Frankly, I don't think I would be hooking up the player to someone else's computer where this would matter anyway. Having one's own folder structure and playlists is the only plus of having a mountable hard drive player (for me).

Now, the iriver player has equal hard drive space compared to the Karma.

While FM radio function and recording features don't matter to me, for the same price as the Karma, they ARE a plus.

What really is nice is the digital and line out directly on the player, and the included leather case. The remote is handy as well (though not necessarily required, it DOES allow you to leave the main player untouched, but there is a chance that IT will get pretty scratched up.)

So, that leaves me in an interesting situation. The Karma has great support and community, with English speaking developers one can speak directly to. I really like that. I really like the square form factor a lot. A case is not a deal breaker, I'm sure a good one will surface eventuallly, as well as a possible remote. The dock is VERY convenient, and I have heard that ethernet function is going to be expanded upon greatly. It is physically possible for an adaptor or cable to be released to give direct line out, and hopefully that happens. Above all, the ease of use and UIs have not been compared between the two players, so who knows, it probably comes down more to personal preference. This all means that the Karma could work out very nicely for me, once a few things are worked out. It sure is a hard decision to make! I was tired of waiting, so I went Karma. If I ever get a hold of an iHP-120, I will DEFINATELY compare the two, because THAT is what many people are holding off waiting for. Yeah, it sure is a tough 350 dollar choice to make!

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by e-r0ck
iHP-150? talk to me man. the 20 gig barrier is the only thing holding me back from this. is there a 50 gig?

Even though the numbering doesn't make much sense, I believe it's a 15 gig one. Actually, I've never heard of it, though I know that there isn't a 50 gig one. What's the deal?

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #25 of 45
AHHH! NO ME GUSTA! What's up with that nasty color?

Nice find PFS, it seems that the release of this also knocked $50 off the iHP-100 as well.

Sooo, any takers?

P.S. Ritzcamera must be mistaken, the 120 is cheaper than the 100!!

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
AHHH! NO ME GUSTA! What's up with that nasty color?

Nice find PFS, it seems that the release of this also knocked $50 off the iHP-100 as well.

Sooo, any takers?

P.S. Ritzcamera must be mistaken, the 120 is cheaper than the 100!!

Shhhhhh..I am getting this baby for $299.....
puhahahahahahahahahaha !
280smile.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Even though the numbering doesn't make much sense, I believe it's a 15 gig one. Actually, I've never heard of it, though I know that there isn't a 50 gig one. What's the deal?

iHP-150 is the 15 gig...it'z only for sale in korea

Oct 14, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Sooo, any takers?

i've already ordered mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #30 of 45
awww...i river linked the ihp-120 page to iriveramerica.com's front page and it also shows black...i guess we WILL be getting the black verson -____-''

Users who are viewing this thread

Back