US > Japanese current?
Apr 29, 2002 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Is there a RadioShack or similar solution that will stand between my US outlet and a Japanese component and bring the 120 volts US down to the 100 v Japan?

- Matt

Apr 30, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 7
...I found step-down transformers. However, what about this:

"Transformers Do Not Convert Cycles
IMPORTANT: Transformers do not convert cycles (60Hz North America vs. 50Hz foreign), and some appliances may not operate normally when used overseas. These include, but are not limited to: microwave ovens, analog clocks, motorized electric typewriters, televisions and turntables. Consult the appliance manufacturer if you have any questions."

What if I want to use a Japanese headphone amp?

- Matt

Apr 30, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 7
Matt.....I had a similar question about the cycles when I was considering the Earmax Pro from Australia. Rickcr42 said not to worry about it......just get the RS transformer. I followed his advice and it's been fine. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 7
...the radioshack part number for that step-down transformer? I've seen ones online for like $16, so I'd rather not pay $40 + for something like this.

Best,
Matt

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Matt,
The RS transformer I'm using with the Earmax Pro converts 120 volts to 240..........it's a step-up transformer. You need a step-down. I briefly looked in the RS catalog and didn't find anything that converts 120 volt to 100 volt. Sorry.
frown.gif

Hold the presses.......I just found this site. I think it may have what you are looking for. Check it out:
http://www.voltageconverters.com/japan_voltage.html

Apr 30, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 7
OK, thanks anyhow. Like I said, there is one online for like $16, so I'll go down that street if necessary. I probably won't, but we'll see.

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back