US iPod Touch: volume cap with EU firmware?
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

andare

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I'm awaiting delivery of a US iPod Touch 3G 32Gb that I bought online here in Poland. It's gonna be a few weeks before I get it.

The seller advertised it as being from the US specifying that it doesn't have the infamous volume cap.
My question is: will the iPod be capped when I update the firmware since I live in Europe?

I ask this because it's possible that an update will be available when I plug it in the first time to initialize it. Also I might upgrade to the iPhone OS 4.0 when it comes out later this year.

I don't want any bad surprises since I HAVE to have a louder-than-EU player at home - my Sennheiser HD 485's (32 Ohms) force me to listen to full volume at all times on my current iPod Classic 6g.

If you have experience with this please let me know, I appreciate it.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Yes,
if you make an update, you'll have cap volum.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes,
if you make an update, you'll have cap volum.

NO. Firmware updating it's based on the serial number of the device not on its physical location. You get an american s/n unit and you'll be free from this cap.

That's why doing the opposite (updating and european device on a usa pc) would neither remove the volume cap.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO. Firmware updating it's based on the serial number of the device not on its physical location. You get an american s/n unit and you'll be free from this cap.

That's why doing the opposite (updating and european device on a usa pc) would neither remove the volume cap.

Ok thanks! I'll be wary of updates though.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Which update is it? Will it update automatically if I hook up my ipod to itunes?

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Any update really. I was under the impression that the volume cap depended solely on the firmware and aprently that's the case but if you have a US serial number iTunes will download a US firmware regardless of your location.

Anyway iTunes always asks before installing a new update so when in doubt just say no.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Got myself a 2009 Classic from New York.Back in Europe i updated it and the output power is still unchanged.

Prior to updating i talked to Apple support and they told me about the serial number thing.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got myself a 2009 Classic from New York.Back in Europe i updated it and the output power is still unchanged.

Prior to updating i talked to Apple support and they told me about the serial number thing.

Ok that seals it. Thanks for the reassuring info.
Now I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back