US attacked Afghanistan
Oct 7, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 120
Ya, I saw somethin about it on MSN - my dad's homepage.

hmm....very vague article.

lemme go see what they have NOW...

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 120
We're just making big rocks into little rocks and killing a bunch of animals right now. I guess if we kill some leaders we can justify it.

Half of me is idealistic and says war is bad, the other half is realistic and wants protection. I'm just going to stop thinking about it.

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 120
Hmm...I don't think war is inherently bad. Everything is relative, after all.

If you were sitting at a library and suddenly yelled at someone, the yelling would be considered bad.

If you were crossing a street and yelled at a person ahead of you who was about to be hit by a truck, the yelling would be considered good.

So, is yelling bad or good?

That's my question........clear this lil almost-14 year old's head up, please.....if that's even possible.

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 120
I totally agree with you about relativity. I'm pretty much just venting because there are neither definite nor easy answers to whether war is good or bad. It's been debated for millenia, and the two hemispheres of my brain are warring right now over an answer. Anyway, the last thing I'd want to be is dogmatic, hence my current impression of Hamlet.
wink.gif

I hate writing because I always sound trite.

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 120
lol....I feel a custom title coming on ("Trite Jon")

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 120
yep, hell broke loose.

I don't like war man. but sometimes, times lke this, it's probably the only real way. diplomacy won't get you nowhere this time.

I'm just hoping it won't launch more terrorist attacks.

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 120
I just hope that so few innocent people as possible have to die. Prevention of further attacks is important, but I don't know if this is the best way. In the end it's always innocent civilians that have to suffer the most.

Oct 7, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 120
I heard something about the Taliban claiming that they had requested peace talks with the US countless times but were refused. I have a very hard time believing that, personally.

I have a feeling that this will go on for a long time.

Oct 7, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 120
What is Good? Bad? Right? Wrong? Absolutes? Relative?

To one, that which is good is perceived as bad by another. It is a good thing for us to live by our convictions. Unless we are convicted that it is bad to allow others to live by theirs.

Is there an absolute right and wrong? Is there an absolute good and evil? I believe there is, and I also believe in allowing others to seek these absolutes for themselves as long as they do not impose upon the right of others to do the same for themselves. I believe in demonstrating that which is good by example, thereby helping others to see the same.

These are sad times we live in. Times in which people are not willing to listen to, and consider one another. Times in which people are not willing to rejoice in our differences as well as our commonality. Times in which some feel the need to force their will upon others who are not imposing upon their own.

These times are unfortunately not too unlike all other times recorded in the course of humanity. There have been such people among us since Cain. Whether the story of Cain and Abel is allegory or fact, matters not as much as the demonstrated fact that it is unquestionably exemplary of the human condition.

Given this human condition, in human terms, there is no easy solution to the problems we see in this world in which we live. I Pray for peace.

Oct 8, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 120
Quote:

I heard something about the Taliban claiming that they had requested peace talks with the US countless times but were refused. I have a very hard time believing that, personally.

Neruda, it's actually *somewhat* true. They requested "negotiation" sessions several times. However, the U.S. position was "We gave you our demands, and told you NO negotiations. Do it or pay."

P.S. Please, no one read into the above statement. I am NOT condoning or condemning ANY position. It is simply an objective statement of the situation. Make your own judgements.

Oct 8, 2001 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 120
thanks MacDEF. Jeez, it's hard to know what to believe right now. like with that plane being shot down controversy: Afghanistan would certainly like to say that they shgot down a plane whether they did or not, and if they did, the pentagon would certainly have reason to say that it was untrue. Guess we'll have to wait on that one.

Oct 8, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 120
well the Taliban has had three weeks to do the right thing,simple really-turn the criminals over to the US or you will be considered accomplises.Pretty clear message there,nothing ambiguous.
The last three weeks has also given those wishing to get out of the line of fire to do so,and many have fled.So those that have remained in spitting distance of the terrorist camps are in definate danger of bodily harm or worse,but three weeks is plenty of time.
the 'Negotiations" were a ploy to blow smoke.You do not "negotiate" with criminals,and beg thier forgiveness for whatever turned them to the darkside to begin with.Again they had MNORE than enough time.
Funny thing though.They have been walking around sabre rattling taliking "let the US come,we will kicjk ass".They really think that because they fought Russia to a no decision thaty they are some kind of bad ass.
BIG SURPRISE COMING ******** !!!!

There is a major difference in fighting against an enemy (the Russians) that either do not no what the FCK they are doing there to begin with or know the reason but still wonder why.
But we have been attacked in a vile manner,not one,two,a dozen,or even one hundered casualties
BUT 6 FKNG THOUSAND.
Think of that number for a moment

Then multiply that by mothers/fathers/sons/daughters/friends/cousin of the murdered innocent folks that went to work that day.There is an ache where that person is remembered,of how/why.And the "if only they did not go to work that day.But that is what responsible adults do.THEY WORK.
You don't have to like it but it is what it is
Also consider the chaotic state of the economy DIRECTLY related to this action.the disruption of business.You don't have to like big business but it is what greases the wheels of the US and world economy.And that was also no accident

So here we are three weeks later.The bombs are starting to fall.I would bet right now that there is a lull to allow those knuckleheads to rethink turning the murderers over.But if the wrong decision is again made,pity those poor bastards because they will surely regret that position to thier graves.

And BTW-the US is also dropping food to feed the starving,It seems the taliban can afford weapons to kill and keep order but can't seem to come up with enough funds to feed thier own people.Real ****ing nice guys there
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 120
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
well the Taliban has had three weeks to do the right thing,simple really-turn the criminals over to the US or you will be considered accomplises.Pretty clear message there,nothing ambiguous.
The last three weeks has also given those wishing to get out of the line of fire to do so,and many have fled.So those that have remained in spitting distance of the terrorist camps are in definate danger of bodily harm or worse,but three weeks is plenty of time.
the 'Negotiations" were a ploy to blow smoke. You do not "negotiate" with criminals,and beg thier forgiveness for whatever turned them to the darkside to begin with....

And BTW-the US is also dropping food to feed the starving, It seems the taliban can afford weapons to kill and keep order but can't seem to come up with enough funds to feed thier own people.Real *** nice guys there
evil_smiley.gif

I think the US, Brittain, etc. are doing the only thing we possibly can do as a country and a coalition. Personally, I hope the starving populace over there realizes what's going on and that the very "enemy" that the Taliban is telling them to hate is the one who is feeding them the only meal they've probably had in who knows how long. You couldn't be more right rickcr42, if the Taliban cares for their own, why have they led their country into such poverty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back