Urgent!! Sennheiser Momentum or Nocs NS900?
Mar 16, 2014 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yulin8076

New Head-Fier
As the title, I'm considering to buy a set of headphone recently and narrowed the list down to Sennheiser Momentum and Nocs NS900. Which one do you guys recommend?

For your concerns, I listen to almost all kinds of music besides heavy metal. I would say Jack Johnson's type of musics and R&B for the most.

Thanks for all your help.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Those are pretty new. Most guys around here havn't heard them or seen them... or even heard about them. (me included)
Assuming you're talking about the full-size over-ear Momentums, I would simply go with them as those Nocs seem to be on-ear which is always less comfy than over-ear.

It's difficult to trust a relatively new(er) headphone brand that's obviously ripping off Momentum design elements.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 8
  Those are pretty new. Most guys around here havn't heard them or seen them... or even heard about them. (me included)
Assuming you're talking about the full-size over-ear Momentums, I would simply go with them as those Nocs seem to be on-ear which is always less comfy than over-ear.

It's difficult to trust a relatively new(er) headphone brand that's obviously ripping off Momentum design elements.

Thanks alot for your advice. One more question as I read some reviews on Momentum Over-ear, what do you think of the sound quality? Would lacking of the bass be a problem?
( I actually went to a store and test it out, it sounds a bit rough to me especially the bass part. I assume its because the headphone is new without burn-in?)

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Depends on the type of music you listen to, if you listen to a lot of EDM, ie. house, trance, dubstep etc. The bass is pretty lacking. Bass may be a bit lacking for heavy metal, but should be great for R&B. Only way to find out is to try them on your self. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 8
Well it's more to do with taste than an any actual deficit.
The Momentums are actually what most would consider a 'dark' sound where the bass and lower mids are emphasised over everything else, so technically they're not lacking in that department.
The bass digs deep and has a fairly decent level of detail and texture, however if you want a "sub-woofer-in-your-head" experience, then yes, by all means look elsewhere.

The sound quality overall is one of the best out there. I would consider it easily in the top 5 technically and top 3 for my personal taste (in the category of closed-back fashion/portable headphones).

Something like the Focal Spirit One or Ultimate Ears 6000 might have the emphasised bass you're looking for.

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 8
See what you're saying. I'm not really looking into bass boosted headphone as I found out some being annoy that takes away the high and mids. 
I think I will have Momentum for my first real headphone, but now the problem to myself is either black/red or ivory....haha...

Thanks again!!

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 8
My final comment on the Momentum is not to rush in too hastily.
Measure the height of your ears first. If they are around 65mm tall, you should be good to go.
If however they are significantly taller (70mm for example) then you may find them uncomfortable as they will put pressure around your ears and not just your head.
Some people with exceptionally large ears, find that the around-ear Momentums behave like on-ear models, and usually they can never get a good seal and usually they give very bad reviews about booming bass that has no texture.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 8
I own the Nocs NS900. The issue is I use it for DJ purposes. It's comfortable, loud, tough, and clear.

I'll only talk about sound to save time. This is quite neutral for a DJ can. Nothing is too overpowering, so it can be used for everyday listening. The plus side is it causes less ear fatigue. On the downside, it doesn't sound as lively as a V-Moda M-80.

My only two gripes were the on ear pads and the band adjustment. There were no markers or clicks, just two knobs.

Ask yourself these questions...

1) Do you like on-ear headphones?
2) Does a 90 degree jack bother you?
3) Do you prefer a flat, coiled, or round cable?
4) Does a neutral headphone meet your needs?
5) What looks better in your eyes?
6) Do you own mixers, turntables, or midi controllers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back