Urgent!: Noisy Computer Set-up
Apr 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

onvn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have received a new amp yesterday (G&W AT-F100) which is a great amp for my W1000 through initial listening tests.. I am using it with a Fubar2 USB DAC.. Prior to this amp reaching me, I used my 2Move as both source and amp with my laptop..

Yesterday, the Fubar2 > AT-F100 combo worked flawlessy in that it was dead quiet. Today, I switched on both the amp and DAC and with the running music through it, a buzz came through as well.. The buzz is not LOUD but loud enough to bug me and makes listening music through this setup utterly unenjoyable. Buzzing is heard regardless of volume level on both amp and PC - it is heard at all times when the DAC is connected to the amp.

Further investigations revealed it was a problem somewhere in the AT-F100 and DAC. I tried the following set-ups:

Buzzing is heard through the following:
Laptop A> Fubar2 > AT-F100 > Headphones
Laptop A> 2Move > AT-F100 > Headphones

No Buzz heard through the following:
iPod > AT F100 > Headphones
Laptop A > 2Move > Headphones
Laptop A > Fubar2 > 2Move > Headphones
Laptop B > Fubar2 > AT-F100 > Headphones
Laptop B > 2Move > Headphones
Laptop A > Headphones

Remember the 2Move is both a DAC and an amp..
What do I do now??

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Hello again,

The more I investigate into this problem the more puzzled I am. Using the batteries for the laptop, the buzzing is not heard. But if the PSU for the laptop is the sole culprit, how come buzzing is only heard when BOTH an outboard DAC and the AT-F100 is used? and not when the 2Move is used as both DAC and amp?

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Have you got the Fubar on the same powerstrip as your PC? (or other electronic devices?)

Reason for asking being that when I am using the same powerstrip for my TV and my guitar amp I can hear my TV through my guitar amp. Same thing goes for my laptop and my DAC.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 5
WOop.. problem fixed.. it is a bad cable connection (power cable-adaptor connection).. I had to fiddle around a bit to get rid of the buzz.. I still don't get why buzzing is only heard through the AT-F100 and not through the 2Move..

Strange world..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back