URGENT help needed, noise canceling....
Jun 9, 2007 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
My nephew is severely autistic and needs noise canceling headphones FAST. Any loud sounds scare him, imagine Dustin Hoffman in Rainman... but MORE severe.

I lent him my Jays IEMs, but he didn't like the feel-fit.

Costco has these JBL NC cans on sale...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...10-headphones/

Can anyone here vouch for the durability and noise canceling ability of these?

This is not for an audiophile application, noise canceling is the top priority.

thanks!!

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 24
excuse me. i think you posted the wrong link,

anyways, noise canceling headpohnes depends on a electronic unit attached to the headphones which samples ambien noise and creates a counter wave to cancel that noise,

the issue is that its only good when the noise is constant and repetitive, like factory machinery or an airport, not sure its that effective against random occuring noises.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 24
get some of those noise shelters, the 40-45db insulators, and install some KSC75 drivers in em.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 24
How about the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (I've seen a few people are happy with these and they seem to be at a good price point), however, I don't know if these will be easy to pickup in the US if you need them fast.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse me. i think you posted the wrong link,

(snip)

the issue is that its only good when the noise is constant and repetitive, like factory machinery or an airport, not sure its that effective against random occuring noises.

I have been using a pair of Sennheiser PCX-250 for the last couple of years. It is very effective at cancelling out steady background noise, but understandably does nothing for intermittent/transient sound. If a balloon pops in the room, or a door slams shut, that noise would get through loud and clear, albeit a little muffled because of the blocking effect of the ear pieces. I can't say how it compares to the Bose QC2, but I suspect the Bose are better. There is one aspect that should be mentioned: you have to turn on noise-cancelling manually of course. Would your nephew be able to work with that? Plus, the dongle is always there, ready to drop on the floor if it's not secure in your hand, or pocket. In the end, having worked with autistic children in the past, I can say that you'll probably have to try a number of different sets until you find something to his liking. Autistic children have very specific likes and dislikes, and highly tuned senses, and it's nearly impossible to know in advance what will work for them. Wish I could have been more of a help to you.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 24
For the first time in my life, I am going to go ahead and recommend a Bose product.

Bose QC2

But seriously...

Since he only needs them to block out noise, and will NOT be using them as much for music, perhaps some industrial strength passive noise canceling headsets are worth looking into. Maybe something similar to the muffs that people who are Gun Nuts use at the firing range?

I like the idea mentioned earlier where you get a set of industrial strength muffs and mod them with a pair of KOSS phones. SInce you are one of the premier modders here at Head-Fi, I doubt you will have any problems whipping up a pair for him.

Good luck!

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 24
would normal hearing protection not be better for your cousin ??
It is possible to get molded ear-protection that allows some freqenses to get through (speaking)...
and they are not nearly as expensive as IEMs or NC phones and are very comfortable to wear, I can not even feel mine once i drove home form work with them and I just turned up the radio because it played very low, when I got home my wife asked me why I still wore them...

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 24
These are probably your best bet:

490887.jpg

Linky

They are designed for mixing engineers for use in extremely loud concert arenas and other uber loud applications where extreme isolation is needed. I never heard them, so can't vouch for them, and they look to be quite large - not sure if appearance/size is a concern or not.

32 Ohms, so easy to drive from a portable, 29DB isolation is pretty damn good.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get some of those noise shelters, the 40-45db insulators, and install some KSC75 drivers in em.

Completely seconded, I have tried some earmuffs with the ksc75 without the clips, and that's the best value there is for isolated cans, ever. Not to mention how light the earmuffs are. However they look like the extremeheadphones so people will look at you and are quite big.
I'd recommend to buy some earmuffs and some ksc75 and have them around anyways, could always come in handy.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #14 of 24
Well, no one said the HD280??

I think they have quite a noise cancelling!

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Oh!!

and there's also some active noise-cancelling like the AKG 271 - those generate the outside frequencies in reversed waves so it blocks the outside sound (if I', not mistaken!)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back