Urge to upgrade!
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

demoNMaCHiN3

100+ Head-Fier
I first came to head-fi looking for music/gaming headphones and ended up purchasing a pair of DT770/80's. I absolutely love these headphones
basshead.gif
and have spent hundreds of hours listening to music on them. I was perfectly content with these headphones and never thought I would need to upgrade. Out of the blue, I came back to head-fi to look around and see what's new. That's when I caught the "upgraditis" bug.

That said, I'm looking for a pair of headphones for electronic music (I listen to everything from progressive house to drum and bass to trance). I've spent the past week scrounging through old threads and from what I've read, these are the most recommended headphones:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
  2. AKG K701
  3. Denon AH-D2000
  4. Sony MDR-SA5000
  5. Ultrasone HFI-780

I will be connecting these headphones directly to my computer and will be getting an AMP/DAC later on. I would like to get the iBasso D2 Boa as they are relatively cheap, and I have heard good things about it. However, I'm not sure if the D2 Boa will be able to drive the headphones I've mentioned.

From what I've read, it seems like the SA5000's would be the best choice. The problem is that these are somewhat out of my budget unless someone can convince me to push my budget out. Some say that the ESW9's become very uncomfortable during prolonged listening sessions, which is a big problem for me as I listen to music for hours on end when on my computer. Amazon has the K701's listed a hundred dollars less than the SA5000 (from B&H), which is a big plus. When I read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sa5000-336503/ I was about to purchase the K701's right away as they sound very similar to the SA5000's; however, being a basshead, the lack of bass on the K701's may be a problem. Also, I've read that you need to spend at least $500 on an amp for these headphones, which is too expensive. As for the other headphones, I've read great things but I'm still not sure which will suit me best. If anyone could give me some advice as to which I should purchase I would greatly appreciate it!

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Have you thought about Grado? For the music you described I can wholeheartedly recommend the GS1000s, but for the price range you might look at the 325i. I really like the K701s but the bass just isnt quite all that it could be. The 325is will do fine out of your computer until you have a better amp. The HD560s are pretty sweet too, I would try to go someplace and audition as much as you can.

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. Would the d2 boa work with the 325i's?

Patience.....I have a boa it does wonders with my 225's so I'm sure it would do fine with the 325i's.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 12
as of now I've narrowed it down to the 325i's, hfi-780's, and esw9's. I'm looking for headphones with deep and strong bass with detail and clarity and ability to handle complicated reverb. From the these three, which do you think would fit this description best? Or, is there another pair of headphones within a similar price range that matches this more closely?

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I'm looking for headphones with deep and strong bass with detail and clarity and ability to handle complicated reverb.

Deep, strong bass with detail, clarity + ability to handle complicated reverb? IMHO, simple answer is "Ultrasone". Read the many related threads here. You cannot go wrong with them.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 12
I also think you should go with the Ultrasone judging from your preferences. The HFI780's are great. Lots of bass, forward presentation, much detail, crisp highs. And although they do benefit from an amp, they perform very well without one.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I first came to head-fi looking for music/gaming headphones and ended up purchasing a pair of DT770/80's. I absolutely love these headphones
basshead.gif
and have spent hundreds of hours listening to music on them. I was perfectly content with these headphones and never thought I would need to upgrade. Out of the blue, I came back to head-fi to look around and see what's new. That's when I caught the "upgraditis" bug.

That said, I'm looking for a pair of headphones for electronic music (I listen to everything from progressive house to drum and bass to trance). I've spent the past week scrounging through old threads and from what I've read, these are the most recommended headphones:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
  2. AKG K701
  3. Denon AH-D2000
  4. Sony MDR-SA5000
  5. Ultrasone HFI-780

I will be connecting these headphones directly to my computer and will be getting an AMP/DAC later on. I would like to get the iBasso D2 Boa as they are relatively cheap, and I have heard good things about it. However, I'm not sure if the D2 Boa will be able to drive the headphones I've mentioned.

From what I've read, it seems like the SA5000's would be the best choice. The problem is that these are somewhat out of my budget unless someone can convince me to push my budget out. Some say that the ESW9's become very uncomfortable during prolonged listening sessions, which is a big problem for me as I listen to music for hours on end when on my computer. Amazon has the K701's listed a hundred dollars less than the SA5000 (from B&H), which is a big plus. When I read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sa5000-336503/ I was about to purchase the K701's right away as they sound very similar to the SA5000's; however, being a basshead, the lack of bass on the K701's may be a problem. Also, I've read that you need to spend at least $500 on an amp for these headphones, which is too expensive. As for the other headphones, I've read great things but I'm still not sure which will suit me best. If anyone could give me some advice as to which I should purchase I would greatly appreciate it!

Yes, Ultrasone, definitely! But, I'm going to take this a couple of steps farther.
The Ultrasone I suggest you buy is the Proline 750. I want you to understand the distinction between the Proline 750 and the Pro 750. The Proline 750 is last years model. The Pro 750 is this years model. As far as their sound and their specs are concerned, they are identical. What is different about them is their appearance and their container. The Proline 750's are blue in color and they come with a draw string storage bag. The Pro 750's are black in color and they come with a storage case. Other than that, they both come with two cables, an extra set of ear pads, a small manual and a demo CD. I will repeat one important fact: they are identical in their sound performance and their specs.
The reason I am suggesting you buy the Proline 750's (last years model) is because you will probably be able to find a good deal on them. My best guess is the Proline 750's will probably cost you between $225 and $275. By way of comparison, the Pro 750's will probably cost you between $350 and $400. I own the Proline 750's myself. They have fantastic bass, IMO. They have fantastic sounding every frequency, IMO. Give them a chance to burn-in because they sound better after.
They are truly great headphones, IMO.
I've never heard the 780's. However, I have heard very good things about them. Based on what I've heard about them, I'm sure you would enjoy them. However, judging from what I've read by people who have had extensive listening experience with both the HFI 780 and the Proline 750, my best guess is that you would probably like the Proline 750's more.
Next topic: the amp:
I would not recommend this amp as the front line amp for an audio professional or "audio enthusiast". However, this amp, especially when the price is considered, has a very good sound. It will definitely get you by for now until you can buy a higher quality, more expensive amp. The amp to which I am referring is called the Behringer Amp 800. If your money is on the lean side and you want an amp, this one, IMO, is the one to go with. It will cost you around $40. In addition to having a nice sound, IMO, it has a nice dual / separate input and separate listening capability. Look in these forums for information I've written about the Behringer Amp 800.
Only you can decide which headphone is right for you. Believe me, people disagree strongly about what sounds good to them. If you've never heard the Ultrasone sound stage before, let me tell you ahead of time, that, IMO, it is different from any other headphone's sound stage. Personally speaking, I like the Ultrasone Proline 750 sound stage a great deal (more than any other headphone's sound stage I've ever heard). However, as I wrote previously, not everyone agrees.
I suggest you find a store that demos Ultrasone headphones and specifically the ones you are considering. Take a CD with music you enjoy to that store with you for the purpose of demoing the Ultrasone headphones.
I suggest you take a look at the comments in this thread I created:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sou...phones-336543/

Good luck in your decision and your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back