URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Aug 16, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,021 of 1,184
Haha these were being hyped as BLON killers at the beginning of this thread so I went to check them out on AE and... Well they're 2x the cost of the BLONs 😂

They were $39 when they first came out.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,022 of 1,184
I got in on the drop! We'll see if it even makes it to the minimum order. I really want to try a bassy beryllium driver IEM and if it's all a risk with the YBF, then I want to pay as little for taking it as possible. Unless there's some understanding that the drop YBFs won't be beryllium, which would be a bummer.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,023 of 1,184
I got in on the drop! We'll see if it even makes it to the minimum order. I really want to try a bassy beryllium driver IEM and if it's all a risk with the YBF, then I want to pay as little for taking it as possible. Unless there's some understanding that the drop YBFs won't be beryllium, which would be a bummer.
All of the new “white box” units should have beryllium drivers. Another option for a beryllium-coated DD is the FiiO FD1 or JA EA1.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,024 of 1,184
All of the new “white box” units should have beryllium drivers. Another option for a beryllium-coated DD is the FiiO FD1 or JA EA1.

Yeah, the FR on the FD1 didn't interest me. Not enough bass. I can't do bright IEMs. Not familiar with the JA EA1 though! Food for thought.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #1,025 of 1,184
They were $39 when they first came out.

I know.. just bemoaning the fact that I came around too late :) Hopefully a good sale comes around down the line because this is definitely something I have my eye on!

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #1,026 of 1,184
Yeah, the FR on the FD1 didn't interest me. Not enough bass. I can't do bright IEMs. Not familiar with the JA EA1 though! Food for thought.
One can boost the bass A LOT by placing micropore tape over the main vent on the FD1. I don’t find it to be bright at all, and am quite sensitive to bright IEMs, but everyone hears things differently. The EA1 is identical to the FD1, but is $20 less. If you’re not interested in the FD1, the EA1 is a no-go.

The YBF is great though.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #1,028 of 1,184
I got the black box with white dot and so far the mmcx connection seems stable.

I finally got mine yesterday (2020-08-19) and mine also came in a black box with a white sticker.

I wonder if that indicates the cable type?

Was a bit nervous when first listening to them but after a day of use I'd say they have to be beryllium because they rival a couple of other excellent IEMs that I have.

I really love the way they fit in my ears, best sound isolation of any of my stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,029 of 1,184
Packaging had a white sticker dot. Not sure what it supposed to be representing

Also I spoke too soon about the QC. This mmcx female sockets are pretty bad. I had to fix one on left side already. That is after very first try of swapping cable.

Somewhat the same for me but on the right. So far I've fixed it by gently manipulating the connector without removing it. Hopefully I have fixed it.

A real shame because based on the sound UrbanFun has a real winner in this design and QC shouldn't be that hard to get right. They have poisoned these IEMs for many prospective buyers I expect.

I bought my pair knowing the issues but in this day buyers shouldn't have to make a gamble when buying IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,030 of 1,184
Does anyone have a kanas pro or fdx1 to compare them to? I like the fdx1 soo Much as it excels in all departments but it can sound a bit thin at times. I also love everything about the kpe as my backup Iem but after switching from the fdx1 I immediately realise the detail and clarity loss. I would pick up the urbanfun if they have better technicalities then the kpe and preferably a larger stage. It's been a while since I've purchased an iem but I'm looking for an upgrade over my backup iem (kpe) as the fdx1 don't fit my ears good enough for work times as I'm constantly moving.

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,031 of 1,184
Does anyone have a kanas pro or fdx1 to compare them to? I like the fdx1 soo Much as it excels in all departments but it can sound a bit thin at times. I also love everything about the kpe as my backup Iem but after switching from the fdx1 I immediately realise the detail and clarity loss. I would pick up the urbanfun if they have better technicalities then the kpe and preferably a larger stage. It's been a while since I've purchased an iem but I'm looking for an upgrade over my backup iem (kpe) as the fdx1 don't fit my ears good enough for work times as I'm constantly moving.

If it’s a big soundstage you want, the Tri I3 is reported to be huge.

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,032 of 1,184
I have the FDX1 and YBF. The YBF has a ton more bass compared to the FDX1, but the speed, quality, resolution of bass I think is similar. Due to the amount of bass on YBF, it does bleed into the mids some. The overall midrange is a little recessed on the YBF comparatively, but the upper mids on both are very clear and emphasized, though it isn’t as fatiguing on the YBF, to me. In un-modded stock form, I can’t tolerate the upper midrange of the FDX1, as it’s way to shouty for me. The sound is warmer on the YBF, due to the bass, vs the cool and analytic sound of the FDX1. Treble extension is a little bit better on the YBF though. Overall detail and resolution are notably better on the FDX1, though at the cost of listening fatigue. The YBF sounds like it has more of an L-shaped sound to me, though it actually is more V-shaped.

So, while the YBF is technically quite capable, it doesn’t match the FDX1, as few single DD IEMs can match it IMO.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,033 of 1,184
I have the FDX1 and YBF. The YBF has a ton more bass compared to the FDX1, but the speed, quality, resolution of bass I think is similar. Due to the amount of bass on YBF, it does bleed into the mids some. The overall midrange is a little recessed on the YBF comparatively, but the upper mids on both are very clear and emphasized, though it isn’t as fatiguing on the YBF, to me. In un-modded stock form, I can’t tolerate the upper midrange of the FDX1, as it’s way to shouty for me. The sound is warmer on the YBF, due to the bass, vs the cool and analytic sound of the FDX1. Treble extension is a little bit better on the YBF though. Overall detail and resolution are notably better on the FDX1, though at the cost of listening fatigue. The YBF sounds like it has more of an L-shaped sound to me, though it actually is more V-shaped.

So, while the YBF is technically quite capable, it doesn’t match the FDX1, as few single DD IEMs can match it IMO.
Thanks alot for this comparison it really helped me decide! I will probably pass on these for now as it sounds like it's similar to my kpe and I'm looking for an upgrade over them in terms of technicalities. After listening to the fdx1 it's soo hard listening to other bloated iems for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back