Urbana/Champaign Meet
Oct 23, 2004 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
Oh why the hell not? Ok, seems like there's a head-fier that'll be dropping by the area in November and I guess we should try to arrange a mini-meet. I live at a "townhome" (apartment with stairs) over in Urbana near Busey and Green and I have enough room to host the meet. I have a folding table, dining table, and a coffee table to put all the gear on. Parking may be a little troublesome but there is a "backyard" that's the width of a car where we usually park guests or if need be people can park in the free lots and I can ferry them to and fro. Dates that would be good for me are the weekend of November 6th and 7th or the 13th and 14th.

The particulars:

Date: Sunday November 21.
Time: 12:00-Whenever
Place: 711 W Elm St. Apt 4, Urbana
I live in a brown, wooden-sided "townhouse" on the corner of Elm and Busey. For the benefit of bhd, you'll want to get off at the Lincoln Exit on I-74 and head South. Turn East on Green and the first street on the left (north) will be Busey, then the first street you'll hit on Busey is Elm but the entrance to my place is before Elm St and the building is on the East side of the street.

Parking: There isn't much guaranteed parking. I can probably put one or two cars behind the complex and there's street parking all along Elm St. and elsewhere. There is definite parking at some of the permit lots, some do not enforce permits on the weekends, and if needed I would be willing to shuttle people back and forth from the lots (they're not far, the closest one I can think of is at Grainger Library and it's about two-three blocks away). If anyone needs anymore details just PM me.

Sources:
Sony SCD-555ES SACD Player
Sota Star Turntable
E-MU 0404 (modded)
Strohmie's cache of PCDPs
Sony PCDP
Nomad Zen
NAD 542
Echo Indigo
NAD 5255

Amplifiers:
MG Head OTL Ver. 2 (modded)
MG Head OTL-H
Homebuilt Cmoy
HeadRoom Home
Ray Samuels HR-2
Ray's Gear
White Noise Audio Amp
Shellbrook Audio Lab Super Mini Moy
SR-71
JMT Meta
Total Airhead
Cosmic

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650's w/ Cardas Cable
Beyer DT770's
AKG K240S
Sennheiser HD25-1 (modified)
Grado HP-2's
Grado SR-80's
Grado PS-1's
Alessandro MS-2's
Grado SR-325's
Kos Porta/Sporta Pro
Koss UR20
Koss UR40(modded)
Sennheiser 420's
Woody Grado SR-325's

Cables:
Nordost Blue Heavens

Attendees:
Born2bwire
Strohmie
Blue_Onion
Jap
Audio Addict
S_Dedalus
bhd812
Ray Samuels
John JCB

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 112
I'd go to this, any excuse to get some hands on with some new equipment. I saddly will only be bringing my so-so vintage sony PCDP and my SR-325s with me. I'm really interested in going to ol' ray samuel's house for some good eats. We should all find a way to get to chicago, i'm old enough to rent a car or can probably borrow one of my parent's autos (boy do I feel like i'm in highschool again saying that) if need be. If any of you are interesting in doing this give me a heads up and then we can see what dates work best for all of us. Aaron

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I'd go to this, any excuse to get some hands on with some new equipment. I saddly will only be bringing my so-so vintage sony PCDP and my SR-325s with me. I'm really interested in going to ol' ray samuel's house for some good eats. We should all find a way to get to chicago, i'm old enough to rent a car or can probably borrow one of my parent's autos (boy do I feel like i'm in highschool again saying that) if need be. If any of you are interesting in doing this give me a heads up and then we can see what dates work best for all of us. Aaron

If we ask him really nice, we might be able to have him send me...errrr... US an amp or two (and if he asks, the meet's lasting two weeks...
icon10.gif
). As much fun as it is to drive 2.5 hours one way to Chicago, find a parking space, lug my gear, stay for about 4 hours, drive 2.5 hours back down, and try to finish my schoolwork and get up the next morning, it'd be nice to have a meet here for once.

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
If we ask him really nice, we might be able to have him send me...errrr... US an amp or two (and if he asks, the meet's lasting two weeks...
icon10.gif
). As much fun as it is to drive 2.5 hours one way to Chicago, find a parking space, lug my gear, stay for about 4 hours, drive 2.5 hours back down, and try to finish my schoolwork and get up the next morning, it'd be nice to have a meet here for once.

And hey, there's no reason that the Samuels couldn't come down for a visit and cook in whatever form of a kitchen b2bw has.
biggrin.gif

I'm in. Sundays are better, but Saturdays would be fine too.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 112
Well, it certainly looks like it's going to be Sunday, is there a preference to a particular weekend then? If there isn't, I might just go with the 13th and 14th seeing as we might be having enough to justify a call for gear (I didn't think there that many of us down here.).

EDIT: Ooooh, also give me an idea of what gear you'll be wanting to bring.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 112
All I'm going to have is PCDPs and the AKG K240S headphones. The 14th would give me more time to perhaps have another couple PCDPs come in from Japan.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 112
I'm pretty sure that i'm going to be in La Harpe Illiniois visiting my grandmother on the weekend starting the 6th till late sunday or monday morning. The 13th or 14th would be best for me. (sorry I know how frustrating it is to organize something around a ton of people!)

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 112
[size=medium]I wouldn't mind getting involved. I'll be coming from St. Louis, MO. I am currently trying to have my Senn HD25-1's modified (Headphile) with a better cable. I don't know if they will be modified in time for the meet though.[/size]

Oct 27, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 112
Hm, my brother's there in Champaign/Urbana getting his PhD, he has some HD580s, but I don't think he'd be interested in something like this. Which is too bad, because I would be, but nothing ever happens here in Arizona!! >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back