ur40s decent complement to er6s?
Jun 9, 2007 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

guttorm

100+ Head-Fier
hey i was just wondering if you all think the ur40s would be a decent fullsize complement to my er6s for home listening. Right now the er6s are my only phones and I find them uncomfortable sometimes. I would also like some soundstage. are the ur40s the answer for me? Would prefer to stay away from clipons, though I recognize the ksc35s awesomeness. Better than Sennheiser's hd205s? hd485s? eh350? If not, by an appreciable degree? Any other recc's for my little budget? I listen to probably 70% independant rock, 20% classical and 10% electronic. TIA
orphsmile.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 10
I haven't heard the UR40 yet, the QP55x is extremely comfortable though and should do well with indie rock with their grado-esq sound.

The QP55x can't be run straight out of a portable mp3 player (too inefficient), but anything wall-powered with a headphone jack should do ok.

The bass on the QP55x can sound a little overdone at first on tracks that are mixed to accentuate percussion, but mellows out after a hundred hours or so.

of course, the only place to get 'em that we know of is www.electronicsbonanza.com, and only until they run out - these are NOS factory clearance cans.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, MBQuart just isn't trying anymore. But EB still has 31 of them in stock.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 10
i think i'll grab a pair. if my receiver's not up to task i've been thinking about getting a pa2v2 or the like anyways... after about a week with my zen nano I'm thinking my er6s could use one as well

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 10
I can say the 350's would be fairly uninteresting if the "independent rock" is at all on the rough side. If you mean more "guitar picking" rock then that is what they do best.

485's aren't too amazing aside from their warm bass response and crisp highs. I thought they had a fatal lack of mids and distorted quite easily.

And also take note the 205's are closed, and the 485/350's are open. The HD280's sound very similar to the 350's and are closed.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say the 350's would be fairly uninteresting if the "independent rock" is at all on the rough side. If you mean more "guitar picking" rock then that is what they do best.

485's aren't too amazing aside from their warm bass response and crisp highs. I thought they had a fatal lack of mids and distorted quite easily.

And also take note the 205's are closed, and the 485/350's are open. The HD280's sound very similar to the 350's and are closed.

yeah- I've heard the 485's have a "v" frequency, Going from my er6s to those would probably give me a seizure or something. Also not looking for basically open 280s -- I've owned the 280s and while nice I found them a little anemic. Hopefully these Quarts'll be what I'm looking for. thanks for the input!

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do those compare to, say, K81DJ's?

I've never heard the K81DJ, so i can't really say.

The QP55x sounds basically like a smoother version of the Grado SR60, or so they say. I don't have any grados either.

It's also very light-weight, and has velour pads that are identical to the pair that came with my 90's version DT990. Like came off the same production line identical. Even fit on my beyer headphones. Beyer and MBQuart probably both bought them from the same factory. This is the old style beyer velour, though, with fuzzy rather than silky nap, and the foam leans toward your ear rather than standing straight up. Nothing wrong with that unless you have super-sensitive ears and need the extra half inch of clearance around them.

thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back