upside down headphone wearing
Mar 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mnemonix

100+ Head-Fier
Must resist temptation to ask for pics of members wearing their headphones upsidedown...

Actually this is a semi-serious post. I've noticed that I tend to experience most sounds as if they were somewhat above me when listening to headphones. It could be for many reasons, psychological, ear shape/acoustics, headphone fit... unless many other people experience it ? So, yes, I tried my headphones upsidedown (no pics) and the sound stage did indeed seem to come down from above my head to eye level. Does anyone have some insights in to this ?

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, upsdie down as in, the headband is on your chin? lol!!!

correct
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wha....?

If this is more absurd than yesterday's post requesting W5000 owners to measure their head for me, I'm clearly doing something right.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now u got me thinking... What would happen if you put the headband below your head... like ehind your neck...

More practical than a chin strap for sure, but the weight of most larger cans would still cause them to slip off. I sense the potential for a secondary support mechanism though.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More practical than a chin strap for sure, but the weight of most larger cans would still cause them to slip off. I sense the potential for a secondary support mechanism though.

I personally dont have a pair of headphones right now, but then I can see that happening.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 17
I probably looked stupid but I tried this and I didn't notice much of a difference.

Maybe you have an odd or largely shaped head? No offense haha.

BUt what are you suggesting pads that rest on your shoulders to keep them upside down.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 17
I've heard soundstage refered to as "top-down" in headphone reviews a few times. It's just the way headphones are I guess.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 17
I just tried it for a short period of time, and couldn't hear a difference; they didn't however fit very well. At any rate, if they sound better to you upside down, I say go for it! I listened with Beyer DT-880s.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 17
some phones have angled drivers or outputs that are cut to force air into the outer ear (ultrasones) so these i would imagine would be quite different when worn upside down. i too have the dt880 and hd600 those two both, other than poor poor fit, sound about the same as poorly fitting the phones when worn properly

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #15 of 17
Here's a thought...

If you wore them with the headstrap over your eyes (like a blindfold), you would be deprived of your sense of sight and probably focus more on the sound you were hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back