Upsampling - How does it work?
May 12, 2003 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I do not understand how upsampling can make something sound better. If the piece of music is pre-recorded at 16 bit/44.1 khz, hows is upsampling it to 192khz going to make a difference?

May 12, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks....also, what is the point of putting 24bit/192khz DACs on NON-upsamping players, such as the Rega Planet and Music Hall (I think)????????

May 12, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Thanks....also, what is the point of putting 24bit/192khz DACs on NON-upsamping players, such as the Rega Planet and Music Hall (I think)????????

Most 192kHz DACs can sample a 44.1kHz bitstream at higher rates. Whether you want to call this "synchronous upsampling" (as opposed to "asynchronous upsampling") or merely "oversampling", you're getting the benefits of what the press likes to call upsampling. Asynchronous upsamplers (which require an extra IC) may have somewhat better jitter rejection characteristics, but the improvements in low-pass filtering (the major difference between upsampling and not) are the same in both cases.

May 12, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 10
The short answer is, I don't have a clue.

I used to think the idea was to interpolate the missing data, but now I'm not so sure.

May 13, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 10
I read an article by Mark Levison about it.

According to them the only thing that makes upsampling better is that it puts the first wave of distortion WELL ABOVE the hearing range, allowing for the use of a simpler analog filter.

May 13, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Go to www.analog.com and search for AD1896A datasheet. It's an asynchronous sample rate converter chip (so it can do not only "upsampling" but "downsampling" or "equisampling" as well) and on page 18 of its datasheet manufacturer explains how the rate conversion works.

In a nutshell, you have incoming signal at one sampling rate (say 44kHz) and want output signal at different rate (say 96kHz or even 44kHz again). It's easy to realize that in practice the ratio of two clocks will be an irrational number - because clocks are not exactly 96000Hz or 44100Hz and even if they were, they vary with time due to properties of crystal oscillators, noise, interference, changes in temperature etc . In other words you have jitter.

So you interpolate the input signal with very high sampling rate, say 2 to the power of 20 in case of AD1896A. Now you have signal that is identical to the original (save the rounding errors) but instead of having one sample every 1/44100 seconds, you have one sample every 1/2**20 seconds. These samples are queued into a FIFO (first in first out) buffer. Now you sample this signal with the output sample rate (96kHz), with the precision of less than 5 picoseconds, using digital servo loop. It turns out that higher the interpolation sampling rate (2*20) lower the error in the output signal.

In practice of course you're not going to sample with 2*20 because you don't have a DSP that operates in GHz range, and besides you don't need to. In the end all they use is a 64-tap FIR filter. This filter would need 2*26 coefficients, but even those are not all stored. Only a subset of coefficients is stored and the rest are interpolated from those.

As one of the side effects, the output signal will have greatly reduced jitter.

May 13, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back