UPS Stay away!
Jun 24, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

zeroibis

100+ Head-Fier
So the other day I ordered a 4" interconnect from headroom so that I would have a shorter cable during my trip at the end of the week. So that I could get it in time I opted to get overnight shipping that was logically a lot more than the cable. In order to save what money I could I selected UPS instead of Fedex because it was like $10 cheaper. I was a little iffy about this as I want to avoid UPS at all costs after they closed basically there entire operations over new years week resulting in me losing an entire week of work because the parts never came in. But in the end I decided well it is just a cable I mean how could they screw that up?

Well apparently UPS is not even able to ship a $4 cable without damaging it! Unfortunately I had selected no sign on delivery because I did not think that it would be needed when I was only having a 4" cable sent to me. Well as the images show below that was the condition it was in on arrival. I am sure it will still work and I admit that even if the package did require a sig I would have taken it anyways because I need it today not tomorrow or a week from now when a second order that they would mess up anyways would come. Also the delivery guy never rang the bell or knocked on the door, the only reason I knew he was there was the dog running to the door and I happened to be in the other room.

I hope this can act as a warning for anyone thinking of using UPS especally for anything expensive. I think if I had headphones come in this condition I would explode from the rage! So the lesson is, even if it costs more money it is always best to not use UPS because at least then you can rest more assured that your package will actually be in one piece when it gets to you.

Sorry for crap pics but my phone camera is crap:

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 25
I've never had a good experience with UPS. Fed Ex has always been much better in my experience. Last time I ordered something from UPS it took them 2 days to move my package 30 miles because they put it in the wrong line or something. Totally unacceptable.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 25
Funny, Fed Ex has always sucked for me. The drivers will not even knock on the door, packages always late or damaged, but mostly they just like to skip deliveries in my neighboorhood.

On the other hand, I've never missed a UPS delivery, never been late, and on top of that in fifteen years of shipping/receiving packages at work and at home I have had one lost package (at work) and only a couple of damaged boxes (the contents were only actually damaged once). In fifteen years. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Why to people only post to complain about most companies? Curious phenomenon.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 25
As an International Customer for many articles, UPS has been the carrier used for over 90% of my purchases. I've never had a problem.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 25
They put my stuff in a plastic bag and toss it over the fence. And then it says left on porch on the tracking conformation.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 25
I have used ups/usps (ups mainly) for all of my shipping needs in all the years I have used them have never had a damaged / or missing package (knock on wood) if I had to complain about a company it would be usps if a package doesn't fit in my mailbox they don't even come to the door to drop rather they leave a note to make me drive to the post office to pick it up. Also their tracking stinks to boot. May be ups is just good in my area I don't know but I have had many more issues with usps then ups in my experience.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, Fed Ex has always sucked for me. The drivers will not even knock on the door, packages always late or damaged, but mostly they just like to skip deliveries in my neighboorhood.

On the other hand, I've never missed a UPS delivery, never been late, and on top of that in fifteen years of shipping/receiving packages at work and at home I have had one lost package (at work) and only a couple of damaged boxes (the contents were only actually damaged once). In fifteen years. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Why to people only post to complain about most companies? Curious phenomenon.

LOL, yeah it depends where you live. I have pretty much the same experience.

UPS is very reliable for me. They deliver within a 1.5 hour window like clockwork every day. (was horrible at a different place I lived at).

FedEx Express is inconsistent, but mostly reliable, but delivery times are inconsistent. Unless it's an overnight shipment, I'll have deliveries anytime from as early as 9am, to as late as 7:30pm. A FedEx shipment requiring a signature is like waiting for the Cable guy for me.

FedEx Ground is horrible. They miss and skip deliveries, and are usually late.

-Ed

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 25
But the UPS delivery person is so helpful!

sub_8361.jpg

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 25
The package's condition on arrival really depends more on your location. NJ might have decent UPS service and terrible USPS delivery while in rural Colorado, the USPS may be your best bet.

It could be one of two problems:
1. Package handlers let your cable envelope slip between conveyor belt rollers, and smashed your package- bubblewrap and all. I never use UPS for shipping documents.
2. The delivery driver didn't organize his truck well and placed a real heavy parcel on your cable.

I've had the best experience with FedEx. They're worth the difference in price.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 25
For me most shippers are fine fedex is good ups is great and usps is ok since they really are a pain and never even attempt to drop a moderate size package at my door it is almost as if they are too lazy to go up my driveway and place it in front of my door which is not very hard imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back