UPS' lack of common courtesy
Jul 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rath1on

100+ Head-Fier
This is a bit of a herp derp situation. The result of which isn't particularly upsetting, but the process could have gone a lot smoother and a lot of inconvenience could have been spared by decency from UPS. 

Okay, so... I bought a new amp (Fiio E17) off of Amazon for my Pro 900 on Tuesday around lunch time. I buy stuff ALL THE TIME off Amazon and I always get next day delivery because Prime is amazing and $4 extra to have it the next day is just the best thing ever and I love Amazon with all my heart. That said, I've never had an issue with not getting it the next day. Even stuff from Cali (I'm in NC). But, this time, something went topsy turby.

From the time UPS picked up the shipment, the tracking info stated that it would be delivered Wednesday (yesterday). I thought all was well. UPS' next day delivery is garuanteed, even if it arrives at the UPS distribution in the afternoon and has to be delivered at 10pm. Then the package arrived at the UPS store closest to my house at 10am. Keep in mind, this store is just 10 minutes from my house. But, as soon as it arrives there, the scheduled delivery date vanishes from the tracking page. It doesn't say anything about when it's going to be delivered. I just figure tracking is being teh suxors and not to worry. Delivery is guaranteed today. 7pm rolls around and there's still no update to tracking, nor has it been delivered. So, I get in touch with UPS to see what's what. Here's the conversation in semi-shortened form.

UPS: "It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow."
Me: "Well, that's no good. Can I pick it up today? The store is only 15 minutes from my house."
UPS: "It isn't eligible for pickup because it's in transit."
Me: "What do you mean in transit? Does that mean it's out for delivery? If it arrived in TOWN 6 hours ago, that's only 15 minutes from my house. There would be no place left for it to be "in transit" to other than to be delivered."
UPS: "It's scheduled for deliver tomorrow. You cannot pick it up."
Me: "That didn't answer my question. If it's out for delivery, I will have it today. If it's not, that means it's in TOWN and I can just go and pick it up."
UPS: "You cannot pick up packages that are in transit."

At this point, I'm very much annoyed.

Me: "What about the fact that it was Next Day Delivery? It's been 15 minutes from my house all day. Why couldn't it be delivered?"
UPS: "The package is being sent as Next Day Delivery. It will be delivered tomorrow since we got it today."

Now, I was started to get confused. So, I refer to the tracking info.
The order was processed by UPS yesterday at 10pm. They picked it up from the store at 1am today. Today.

Me; "What? There's absolutely NO reason for this not to be delivered. I bought the shipping yesterday, I was told it would be delivered today."
UPS: "The service is Next Day Delivery, not Same Day Delivery. It was picked up today, it will be delivered tomorrow."
Me: "I honestly don't know what to say. I never thought UPS would do something as to hold the package from delivery for such a trivial detail. If it was going to be delivered tomorrow, why did the tracking info have the scheduled delivery date as today up until it arrived in TOWN? And why didn't the date update? If I knew that it was going to be delivered tomorrow, I would have gone and picked it up instead of waiting around all day. And, since the scheduled delivery date was originally today, UPS must have known that the order SHOULD be here today. This "semantic detail" is just an excuse and I am extremely disappointed. This package has been right down the road all day. ALL DAY."
UPS: "I can see how this is frustrating. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do."
Me: "I don't think you understand that it's supposed to be here today. Period."
UPS: "You should talk to the seller then about why it was picked up this morning."
Me: "The seller is Amazon and they did everything they normally do. They take their next day deliveries very seriously. They are going to be just as upset as I am."

Very annoyed, I went and told Amazon about what was going on. As expected of Amazon customer service, they were awesome. I ended up talking to the guy for an hour. When I told him the situation, he said, "well, that's ********." 
biggrin.gif
 He offered to refund the shipping cost, which I refused. That money belongs to Amazon and there's nothing they did wrong. He said that he would talk to UPS about the issue and that the "1am pickup means the next day after that for delivery" concern wouldn't stand with Amazon. Awesomesauce.

But, that's it.

This morning I checked the tracking info at work. It said Delivered. I thought "I guess they tried to get it there early to make up for it. It doesn't really make a difference to me. I'll be at work all day." But, upon closer inspection, the delivery time was 9:30pm yesterday. waaaaaat? I was up at 9:30 and would have heard someone come in the driveway. And my dog, whom barks at the neighbors when they come home, would for sure have heard. Not to mention, I checked the tracking info multiple times last night after 9:30 and there wasn't an update.

This is completely upsetting. This a bigger slap in the face than if it was just delivered a day late. I just got off the phone with the UPS manager from the local store.

Me: "Did UPS throw common courtesy out the window recently? I thought you were professionals and handled your business as such."
UPS: "The package was delivered after hours for you. I don't see the issue."
Me: "The issue is that I was told the package would be delivered tomorrow without comprise. So, I gave up on it. The issue is that there was no communication with me about the change. When the package arrived, I wasn't even aware of it even though I was inside the house, completely awake. There was no update to the tracking info, which I checked before I went to bed at midnight. It rained all last night. I left the house this morning without even knowing it was on my porch. It's going to be very windy and very rainy today. Now, I am going to have to try and ask a favor from a neighbor to hold it for me. A number of little things, that aren't complicated, could have been done to avoid these countless inconveniences. I don't understand why I couldn't pick up the package on my, I don't understand why I was told it would be here yesterday, then I was told it be here today, then it was delivered yesterday without me knowing. I don't understand why the guy who delivered it couldn't have knocked on my door to tell me. I don't understand why the tracking info never updated. I don't understand how a business can be run on such chaos."

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I've never seen such a business with an ill-maintained management structure.

Sigh... oh well.

tl;dr UPS told the truth, then lied, then lied about lying without telling me they lied about lying.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 4
First let me say that it is always a bummer when either party does not communicate or feels that have been taken advantage of in some way.

A quick recap of your event.

1.)  Order item Tuesday with "Next Day Delivery"
2.)  Next day to USP means up to 10pm as seen from your message
3.)  Wednesday rolls around and you start to worry that they are not going to make their 10pm Wednesday delivery
4.)  You call them and complain prior to 10pm which was not fair to them.
5.)  They have many many deliveries and if your package is on the truck who knows the order of their deliveries.  You are not their only customer and if your package is on a truck of 1000 packages when it is possible and valid that yours could be last just by chance.
6.)  If I read your message correctly you received the product at 9:30pm on Wednesday one half hour earlier than their 10pm delivery end time?  Did you check at 10pm if you package was there?  If not then you may be jumping to conclusions and not giving them credit for a busy schedule or late delivery due to unforeseen problems.
7.)  In addition is it quite possible that UPS picked it up from Amazon after the necessary time to have it processed as next day.  Let's say 12am rolls around Wednesday and they just then pick it up or for simplicity sake at 10pm.  They stop transacting it at 10pm because that is when they close.  To UPS they start delivering it Wednesday and see that it needs to be Next Day.  To UPS this could be Thursday.  It is not like they are trying to trick you.  They have their own delivery schedules and issue with deliveries.

Things to consider:
1.)  What time did Amazon have it picked up.  I mean not ready, but when did UPS pick it up from Amazon.  Date and time.
2.)  When did the package actually arrive at your house?  Did you check at 10pm Wednesday?  According to their records they delivered it at 9:30pm making the next day delivery time.
3.)  Blowing things out of proportion is not going to make UPS or any other courier want to do their business with you any more.  Being kind and understanding sure may help.  Even though you are obviously irate about this, you should be sure to give them credit for their efforts.  From what it looks like they delivered it on time prior to their 10pm cut off on Wednesday.  I guess I do not see the issue.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 4
I think you're missing the point here. UPS actually isn't supposed to deliver after 7pm. That's what the UPS guy said. Amazon said 8pm. It wasn't on a truck. It was sitting at their distribution facility all day without any information on the tracking about what was going to happen. When UPS told me it would be delivered tomorrow, I naturally assumed it wasn't going to be delivered today (I used today and tomorrow in past tense as if it were actually yesterday). I was up at 9:30 when it was delivered and had no idea. The tracking said nothing, I heard nothing outside (so they probably drove it out to me in a car and set it on my porch), and no one knocked on the door or anything. The tracking didn't actually update to say it was delivered until around 7am this morning. Since the tracking said it hadn't been delivered, the UPS guy told me it wouldn't be delivered, and never heard it being delivered, I never bothered to check. Not to mention, I was under the impression they didn't deliver anything past 7pm or 8pm, whichever was correct.

For all I know, they could have delivered it this morning and just put 9:30pm. I was in the living room (which is in window view of the porch) when it was supposedly delivered. I saw nothing. The issue is just unorganized communication on their part. I may be expecting too much, but I would think communication is essential for a shipping company. If their tracking wasn't foobar, everything would have been fine. If the UPS distribution in my town had an organized delivery system, everything would have been fine. But, it doesn't really matter now. I'm home, the E17 works great, I talked to Amazon again and let them know that it got here yesterday (supposedly) and they were like "k."

What I'm guessing happened was the package arrived at the distribution center in my town and somehow got misplaced or not forwarded to the correct "area." As they were closing, someone picked up my package was like "ummmmm this is next day delivery and is time stamped yesterday. Why is it here?" And then they ran it out to my address and never bothered to do whatever they do with the tracking, so it just stayed as "It arrived in the UPS store in TOWN at 10am" forever.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Typical UPS - not to fuel your rant. But they are historically known to hold packages until the estimated delivery date unless you've paid for super premium shipping or the package is late. In other words, if you pay for 3 day, and it arrives on the 2nd day, it's sitting in a warehouse for 24 hours until it meets the delivery date. And they'll be rather rude with you, even if you offer to come down to the distribution center or store (if it's one that allows non-employees to enter, and I get that some of their facilities are "closed" for liability reasons; I can respect that) and pick it up for yourself. Nope, not gonna happen, it's not scheduled to happen yet. The really ironic part is, UPS also has the fastest shipping service on the planet (beating FedEx even); it was "SonicAir" for a while, but they re-branded it some time ago. I think it's called Same Day Priority Express Ultimate now or something equally long and wordy.

FedEx, by contrast, will push packages out early. Generally speaking. But FedEx seems to be less popular for online stores as of late, I don't know why.

Just be glad it was UPS and not USPS...and I won't even make jokes about what would've happened had DHL been involved. :veryevil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back