UPS fiasco... [resolved]
Feb 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

joomongj

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought Denon D7000 off J&R this past week. The item was charged and shipped promptly. They first attempted to deliver this Monday which they couldn't since I wasn't home the whole day. I was home the following day which was today to receive the package. Now at around 12pm, I checked the status online and it says delivered!! I was like What....now I read over to see who signed it and it wasn't me. Someone called "NS Person" signed it. And I'm not this NS person.

So I called J&R, explained what happened and the lady said they will initiate an investigation w/ UPS and if worst comes to worst they will ship another one. My guess is it has been delivered to some wrong address and a person not authorized to sign signed it.

Now my question, my credit card has been charged already and the amount as you probably know is formidable. Upon googling on similar incidents, it has occurred that UPS usually puts a tracer on the package and try to track it down. I don't know how long it will take and how long this fiasco will continue. So I'm thinking of giving my shipper(J&R) 7 days max and if I don't hear from them after that, initiate a chargeback w/ my cc issuing bank. Also I don't really expect to hear anything good from UPS either.

What do you think? Do you think I should wait longer? The chargeback is a pretty lengthy process as I read, up to 6 weeks? My cc is w/ MBNA btw. If anyone has done chargebacks w/ their issuing banks or MBNA, I think I could use some constructive feedback.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 17
I wouldn't do a chargeback unless the retailer is completely unresponsive with my concerns. If they say they're going to initiate an investigation with UPS and will ship another one if it comes down to it, why not let them do so? Personally I would give J&R two weeks to work on the issue, if they're not being proactive or haven't shipped a new one by then I'd escalate it to the bank.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 17
I can't offer advice on the chargeback, but I've had a package get delivered by UPS to an incorrect address. From the tracking information, they should know which driver delivered it, so they usually start there and have the driver go back to check. Most of the time, the same driver is on a standard route, so they have a decent chance of remembering. In my case, the driver got the package back and redelivered it about two days later, but the area is a commercial/warehouse area, so arguably the person getting the package by mistake was a little less likely to just take it.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1-800-PICK-UPS

Called UPS immediately. They told me the process must be done via the shipper, not the receiver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't do a chargeback unless the retailer is completely unresponsive with my concerns. If they say they're going to initiate an investigation with UPS and will ship another one if it comes down to it, why not let them do so? Personally I would give J&R two weeks to work on the issue, if they're not being proactive or haven't shipped a new one by then I'd escalate it to the bank.

God knows how long they are gonna drag this. Just sitting around and waiting for something to happen won't probably get me anywhere.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

God knows how long they are gonna drag this. Just sitting around and waiting for something to happen won't probably get me anywhere.

Wait. J&R is huge. They most certainly have dealt with this before.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 17
You're right, they certainly have dealt w/ it. But this one incident certainly questions their methods.

http://technews.iit.edu/index.php?id=668

Quote:

As for the J&R customer service, I found them most indifferent and all they had to say was that they are investigating into it by initiating a tracer (by UPS). J&R offered to ship another mp3 player and charge me for it and if investigation was in my favor I would be credited for the first piece.

If they ain't gonna refund me back and charge a 2nd time, I'm better off calling my bank. Waiting is something I'd rather avoid at this point since I'm least pleased w/ UPS and their catastrophe to deliver a g0ddamn simple box. Doesn't matter whether they are the largest ground courier in the world or not.

Also someone who had direct 1st person experience w/ these sorts of problems, and not from people who just wanna speculate, what kind of proof do I need to submit when I do a chargeback usually?

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 17
J&R contracted with UPS to deliver the package to YOU...not someone else. The fact that you did not receive the package and someone else signed for it should mean that J&R sends you a replacement (FREE) and then works with UPS to recover the original package delivered to the wrong person. This should be done IMMEDIATELY....not in 7 business days or 14 business days or whatever.

You have proof that the package was delivered and signed for by someone other than you. That should be all the proof your bank needs to do the chargeback.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 17
I remember this happened to me a couple of years ago. I called UPS and entered my tracking number via automated response and it said delivered to this address at this time. Turns out it was one street off, so I walked over there and asked for my package. They gave it to me but they opened it without looking at the address. At least, they didn't open my item. Hopefully, all goes well for you.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 17
I had couple of stuffs delivered to wrong address, actually right next door. Both times, I was able to walk up to my neighbor and retrieved both packages. It wasn't UPS did the investigation but after discussing with the senders, I did my own investigation.

Personally I would not wait two weeks. One week is probably reasonable time for them to resolve the problem. Good luck.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Good luck. I've had bad experiences in the past with UPS. They once delivered a visibly damaged item when I was home by not ringing the doorbell and forging my signature. I was out $45 to ship it back and they refused my claim. Two weeks later they retroactively added a $5 "fuel surcharge" since I made the mistake of giving them my credit card.

tl;dr: I will never willingly use UPS again.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 17
I would call people until someone gives in. This is a serious matter and if you don't act like it and take action now, you're going to create some serious problems for yourself down the road as a result of your delay.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck. I've had bad experiences in the past with UPS. They once delivered a visibly damaged item when I was home by not ringing the doorbell and forging my signature. I was out $45 to ship it back and they refused my claim. Two weeks later they retroactively added a $5 "fuel surcharge" since I made the mistake of giving them my credit card.

tl;dr: I will never willingly use UPS again.

Errr... They forged your signature? I would have consulted with a lawyer friend to see if I could have given them the ol' corporate one-two in the papaya bunch.

Anyhow, UPS is a well known bag of crap when it comes to international shipping... The COD they slap on for handling is pretty much double the price of shipping. I've had issues where I've been home waiting for a package and have been in the next room over from my door and I hear someone come in the storm door and then leave (figured it was the mail) and I go over and check and see Mr. UPS drive away and note on my door saying I was not home.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr... They forged your signature? I would have consulted with a lawyer friend to see if I could have given them the ol' corporate one-two in the papaya bunch.

Yes, they did. The "Proof of Delivery" window on the shipping status said that the package was signed for by me specifically.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Update: apparently there was an internal error within the UPS facility and the log came off signed when it wasn't even out for delivery yesterday. Geez, What...I've never seen this before. The log shows lost package tracer request initialized by J&R and other gibberish. Despite the good money I paid for the Express service, the package came in 2 days late. I don't think I'm gonna hold a grudge out of it however. But making me agitated for the past day wasn't a pleasant one either. Regardless of the good price I got off from this deal, this incident certainly is gonna make me think twice before going through UPS again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back