UPS came by again...
May 1, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #31 of 37
I thought the zotl did very well with the HD600, despite Hirsch's preference for the the Moretto. As matter of fact, I thought it was comparable to my Sha-1. Although the Sha-1 was a bit better because of better tubes. I didn't have a chance to tube roll with the Zotl.
I'd just lilke to see what you think since audition is more subjective than objective.
The K1000 definitely shines with the AQ10005 and I don't feel there's a lack of bass thus far. This amp also shines with the SR325.

May 6, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 37
The "moretto" is now appearing in pairs on ebay with a lower reserve....

May 6, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #33 of 37
I think Hirsch is coming around on the HD600/zotl pairing (see his zotl tube rolling thread.) I visited him yesterday and listened very briefly to the moretto while rolling tubes in the ZOTL. I found the bass to be moire prominent on the Moretto, but detail was lacking compared to the ZOTL. Again, this was with a very brief listening session with the Moretto, so take it FWIW.

Dave

May 6, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by dcg
I think Hirsch is coming around on the HD600/zotl pairing (see his zotl tube rolling thread.) I visited him yesterday and listened very briefly to the moretto while rolling tubes in the ZOTL. I found the bass to be moire prominent on the Moretto, but detail was lacking compared to the ZOTL. Again, this was with a very brief listening session with the Moretto, so take it FWIW.

Oh yes, the ZOTL/HD-600 pairing can be made very good indeed with the right tubes.

I agree completely with Dave on the Moretto. It's got a very nice tonality, and is very pleasant to listen to, but cannot handle fine detail. It's better than it was, with good tubes, but still not even close to the better amps, IMO.

May 7, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #35 of 37
My Moretto arrived today. It sure is purty. The first thing I noticed is that one of the stock driver tubes supplied (Sovtek, apparently) had such a fat butt it wouldn't fit through the tube rack guide (see Hirsch's photo in McDef's amp inventory thread).

LOL! Well, I was going to roll those anyway. Right now the brilliant blue leds are staring at me as the thing warms up (with what are, I think, old used Dutch Amperex's).

Report soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #36 of 37
Daycart1, Hirsch, anyone?

Just dying for some more info on rolling tubes with the moretto, and some comparisons to the MG and other tube amps in its class. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #37 of 37
So far, my favorite 12AU7 is the RCA cleartop. I'm using it in front of Amperex Bugle Boy 6922's, and this amp is sounding good. However, the only amp I've heard of a similar type is the Earmax Pro, and I didn't hear it long enough to make meaningful comparisons. IMO at the current ebay price of around $250, the Moretto is a killer deal.

IMPORTANT: The caveat is that the headphones MUST have an impedance of 150 ohms or greater. Radii Audio in China markets an adapter that will allow lower impedance headphones to be used. Don't even think of using Grado's, Sony's, or other low impedance headphones without this adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back