UPS as power conditioner/surge protector
May 8, 2003 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kali

100+ Head-Fier
I've been offered the following model for just over EUR100 and just wondering if it would help in terms of audio performance (at the moment I just have a bog-standard surge protector)..

http://www.bomara.com/APC/smart-ups-su1000inet.htm

I would only be connecting my Marantz amp and Arcam cd player to it.. so I cant see it getting overloaded, plus the noise filtering/conditioning would surely help?

Any general opinions on UPS systems used in hifi systems? I've only come across the odd mention of them on the web (and a quick search here reveals little).

Cheers,
Ken

May 8, 2003 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 4
As long as it's an online type (not line-interactive or whatever) with a sine shaped output, a ups usually does quite a good job as a power regenerator and filter.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 8, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 4
thanks it seems to have a sine output alright, whats the difference between an online and line-interactive type?

May 8, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Online means that the output is always fed through the batteries, whereas line-interactive units usually just bypass the input to the output (with a little filtering) - as long as it seems ok to the control circuit. So efficiency is usually better with line-interactive models, while online models have no switching time (line-interactives need a few ms...) and deliver better output quality (which is only roughly sine-shaped with most line-interactive models...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back