Upper midrange peakiness in Audio-Technica 'phones
Jun 18, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What source and amp did you use it with? I find the W5000 to be very picky about amps in general.

Everything in my signature. I find the SSMH to be a pretty warm and mellow amp and my X-fi to be fairly neutral and I still found them too fatiguing. However, I don't doubt that this could be resolved with different equipment.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

L3000 have the same drivers as w11jpn but different housing: (If I remember correctly)
I'm thinking that the change in driver housing accounts for people's descriptions of the l3000 sound as more balanced;
maybe the lower mids are less peaky than a la w11jpn

I didn't know the L3000 and W11jpn uses the same drivers
eek.gif
Can anyone else confirm this?

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 19
After some more listening to the AD700, I feel that it has at least one major strength---its highs have an immediacy, speed, and air that puts the AKGs to shame. These are the types of qualities I heard in the Orpheus which I realized I missed in dynamic headphones.

However, I still feel that the AD700 is compromised by some kind of uncontrolled resonance in the upper mids or lower treble. The overall resolution is far lower than the K601/K701. In complex orchestral passages it turns to mush.

So back to Headroom it will go (though MoonBoy can borrow it for a week or two).

Now the million dollar (well, $700) question is: does the AD2000 have the all the good qualities of the AD700, while lacking any uncontrolled resonances and having overall very high resolution?

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some more listening to the AD700, I feel that it has at least one major strength---its highs have an immediacy, speed, and air that puts the AKGs to shame. These are the types of qualities I heard in the Orpheus which I realized I missed in dynamic headphones.

However, I still feel that the AD700 is compromised by some kind of uncontrolled resonance in the upper mids or lower treble. The overall resolution is far lower than the K601/K701. In complex orchestral passages it turns to mush.

So back to Headroom it will go (though MoonBoy can borrow it for a week or two).

Now the million dollar (well, $700) question is: does the AD2000 have the all the good qualities of the AD700, while lacking any uncontrolled resonances and having overall very high resolution?

Firstly, if you were expecting a $100 AD700 to have the resolution of much more expensive K601/K701, which are often praised for their resolution, you are expecting wayyyyyy too much. And few headphones can complete with the K701 when it comes to performance in complex orchestral passages, the ones that can will be your much more expensive headphones like the Staxs. The AD2000 certainly does have a more than significant improvement from the AD700 when it comes to resolution, it beats the K601 but probably not the K701. You should try out the AD2000 to see if its what you are looking for.

But are you sure that what you are hearing is peakiness from the AD700? It sounds more like you prefer the K701 because its highs are sharper and more peaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back