Uploading high quality audio onto ipod.
Mar 19, 2009 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MeltedChalk

New Head-Fier
Every time I upload music on my ipod it automatically converts the music to what I understand to be a poor quality(128kbps) in an AAC audio file. I've tried fooling around with i-tunes, my ipod and tried goggling my problem with no solution in sight. I'm unaware if it's even possible but figured if anyone knew anything about it, it would be the folks at Head-Fi. So here's me asking the question..

Can I change the quality of music on my ipod, if so how?

Thanks

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 20
iTunes doesnt convert files when uploading to iPods... not that i know of.
128KB to AAC will just be large file and doesnt sound better.

Also i dont think u can tell what the file is on your iPod as it doesnt supports properties.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes doesnt convert files when uploading to iPods... not that i know of.
128KB to AAC will just be large file and doesnt sound better.

Also i dont think u can tell what the file is on your iPod as it doesnt supports properties.

Just came across a site that gives directions how to change it to mp3. Hopefully it'll change it to other types once I start fishing around. Updating i-tunes right now. Hopefully it'll all work out..

How do I have iTunes rip CDs into MP3 format? :: Free Tech Support from Ask Dave Taylor!

mhm, will find out soon enough I suppose.
Thanks for the head up guys.

Edit: The layout of the preferences in that tut looks nothing like mine.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 20
i didnt know what u were asking but :p u must have itunes 8
Edit > Preference

Look for on the General Tab When you import a CD and next to it is import settings click on the button and you can then choose Custom, and choose 320KB/s for mp3. hehe i have to get to work, so i dont have time to do screen dumps, good luck.

Because u said "upload music to iPod" that is a different step to importing music into iTunes :p

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 20
Alternatively get foobar2000 and associated plugins that encode in FLAC, ogg, iPod manager, Msn messenger plugins :p They do indeed sound better than iTunes.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 20
Go to the preferences/options. In the general tab, go to "import settings"
After, in the drop down box that says "Import using" choose Apple Lossless Encoder
(when ripping CDs)

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 20
iTunes does not convert files when transferring to the iPod, unless you use Apple Lossless files in iTunes and transfer to an iPod shuffle (which don't support Apple Lossless).
So either you have imported your files into iTunes as 128kbps AAC or I have no clue what's going on...
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes does not convert files when transferring to the iPod, unless you use Apple Lossless files in iTunes and transfer to an iPod shuffle (which don't support Apple Lossless).
So either you have imported your files into iTunes as 128kbps AAC or I have no clue what's going on...
wink.gif

I'm lead to believe that importing the files into i-tunes(directly from cd) caused them to degrade the quality, or they were originally 128kbps on the cd. Just got the kinks worked out(I hope) and am importing at 256 kbps. Just waiting for it.

In custom uploading option it also mentions I can change the sample rate, channel, I can use vbr or "optimize for voice". If anyone knows if these options would improve the sound I'd love to know.

Thanks for help, I've changed what I was originally intended to. Now a happy camper.
beerchug.gif
appreciate it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 20
I suspect MeltedChalk was misusing the term "upload"...

MeltedChalk, if you are ripping CDs and loading them into your iPod, then the highest quality you can get with using the stock iPod firmware and iTunes is Apple Lossless. Although it's questioned by some whether there's much perceivable difference between lossless or really high quality MP3. I for one can't tell the difference, or I don't have good enough equipment to render the differences audibly.

If you want to try using FLAC, an alternative lossless codec, then you'll have to install rockbox, although if you have a 6th Gen (aka "iPod Classic", with the brushed metal finish) then I don't think rockbox is supported yet. I like rockbox even without FLAC because it has a lot of tweaks you can do that apple firmware won't let you.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltedChalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm lead to believe that importing the files into i-tunes(directly from cd) caused them to degrade the quality, or they were originally 128kbps on the cd. Just got the kinks worked out(I hope) and am importing at 256 kbps. Just waiting for it.

In custom uploading option it also mentions I can change the sample rate, channel, I can use vbr or "optimize for voice". If anyone knows if these options would improve the sound I'd love to know.

Thanks for help, I've changed what I was originally intended to. Now a happy camper.
beerchug.gif
appreciate it.

VBR theoretically allows you to have the best of both worlds between a highly compressed (hence small but low sound quality) file and a high quality sound. It varies the bitrate depending on the audio segment depending on whether it thinks there should be more detail or whether it's ok with less. Try it out and if you can't tell the difference then go ahead and use it.

If you have a LOT of CDs, you should also consider ripping them to lossless so you can re-encode to higher bitrates later with ease if you upgrade your equipment later. The last is probably inevitable as long as you troll this board.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect MeltedChalk was misusing the term "upload"...

MeltedChalk, if you are ripping CDs and loading them into your iPod, then the highest quality you can get with using the stock iPod firmware and iTunes is Apple Lossless. Although it's questioned by some whether there's much perceivable difference between lossless or really high quality MP3. I for one can't tell the difference, or I don't have good enough equipment to render the differences audibly.

If you want to try using FLAC, an alternative lossless codec, then you'll have to install rockbox, although if you have a 6th Gen (aka "iPod Classic", with the brushed metal finish) then I don't think rockbox is supported yet. I like rockbox even without FLAC because it has a lot of tweaks you can do that apple firmware won't let you.

I'm probably misusing words all over the place. Just a guy learning the ropes while trying to get the best out of the equipment I have. Thanks for your input, and will definitely check out "rockbox".

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VBR theoretically allows you to have the best of both worlds between a highly compressed (hence small but low sound quality) file and a high quality sound. It varies the bitrate depending on the audio segment depending on whether it thinks there should be more detail or whether it's ok with less. Try it out and if you can't tell the difference then go ahead and use it.

If you have a LOT of CDs, you should also consider ripping them to lossless so you can re-encode to higher bitrates later with ease if you upgrade your equipment later. The last is probably inevitable as long as you troll this board.

Thanks for info.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 20
Definitely go with Apple Lossless as the minimum. As your chain of audio gear goes upstream, you can definitely hear the difference between mp3 & lossless. Even with my iMod, I could definitely tell the difference between 256 kbps and lossless, when I inadvertently had 2 versions of TV on the Radio's new album in there, and played the 256 kbps version without knowing.

There are some people who swear they can tell the difference between lossless and WAV or AIFF. I don't buy it, frankly, as lossless is lossless, but if you must have the peace of mind, go with AIFF if you're using Apple gear, as it's more tag-friendly.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 20
I highly recommend ripping it to lossless the first time and then change you settings for transferring to you ipod. that way you only have to do it the once actually aac is superior to mp3 for apple devices, its easier on the battery and even sounds better IMO apple devices are optimized for it. I use 256 or 320kb aac and some lossless, but my imports are lossless from the beginning so I dont have to gp back on day and import it again.

HD's are so cheap these days; its pretty easy for me to justify a drive dedicated to audio.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 20
Depends on your hardware, at first there might be no differences, but once you start getting new mid-high end equipment, LOD, amp, there will be big differences. Plus iTunes is just too easier to use if you have CDs it does everything for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back