Upload Your Custom Windows Icons (Tips and Rules Inside)
May 18, 2009 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey All,

I am not even sure if this will be of interest to anyone but here goes anyway:

I am a computer hardware nut, so I like to look at what the internals of computers look like. I also got into customizing the more common icons that are seen in windows because I am sick of looking at the same ones every day. I learned how to make my own icons, and I have a few to share with you guys for the heck of it.

Here are how I made mine:

1. Find any picture you want (Objects look the best).
2. Use a photo editor (I use Photoshop) to make the sides around the object transparent. In Photoshop, you use the "Background Eraser Tool" and select "Limits: Find Edges".
3. Save the image at a resolution around 500x500 or so (constrain proportions obviously) and in the .PNG format.
4. Go to :. ConvertICO.com - Convert .PNG format files to .ICO or .ICO format files to .PNG : Windows Vista compatible (This is my favorite site as it does a 256x256 icon) and upload your .PNG image
5. The result will be a custom icon that you can use for anything in windows (provided you know how to mess with the registry with the more system related icons).

Since Head-Fi has attachment limits, here are the rules that make the most sense to me, as it will allow easy distribution and identification of what you are sharing:

1. In your post, include a screen captured thumbnail of your shared icons at the largest size in one window
2. Upload all icons in a .ZIP format to a popular upload site like RapidShare Webhosting + Webspace

Here are some to start off:

hardware.jpg

Link: Computer Hardware.zip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back