Upgradtitis is back!
Mar 18, 2009 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Audio18

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. Let me give you a little bit of my headphone background. Currently owning the Grado SR-80 and the Sennheiser HD-595 both powered by the Headroom Micro Amp. Soundcard is an external Creative X-fi (I have a laptop), output is foobar w/ kernal streaming. For a while I was really happy but now I guess the upgrade bug is back. Since I enjoy the Senns more, I'm thinking about the HD-580s, since I want a more grand presentation of music, and not so forward sounding. Thoughts? Comments? How about the 600s? Another thing...The only place I found the 580s were on Amazon used for 160 that sounds a bit expensive, since it is used but "like new". Is it okay to buy used headphones? What are your experience with buying used headphones? If anyone knows a place selling them new for a decent price I'd be grateful. Thanks everyone.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 6
the HD 580's and HD 600's are essentially identical (all they changed was the paint job and the grilles)

as far as used headphones, I've never had bad luck, but I know some members have (for example they arrive, and are filthy, or damaged/not as described)

$160 for HD 580's seems fair (new retail was around $200-$250 in the day, and HD 600's are about $250 new)

honestly you won't be buying HD 580's "new", as they've been out of production for some time now (the HD 600 being the replacement model), if you want new-in-box, get the HD 600's

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you gone through my same upgrade path by any chance? Will the Headroom Micro Amp be sufficient for the 580s and 600s? I keep hearing it really takes a high-end amp to make these guys sound its best.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 6
I've heard all of the 'phones in this thread, but have not owned all of them (I picked the HD 580 over the HD 595 and HD 600 to purchase, and recently sold my last Grado)

as far as amplification, I've never run into issues driving my 580's, and don't own anything "really high end" by head-fi standards (and if that means I'm gonna get the "you're under-driving, you're cotton eared, and you're stupid" responses, so be it, I'm still not spending $2000+ on an amplifier though
wink.gif
)

I'll be honest, I don't know the amp you have, but it should drive them just fine (I've yet to hear of a headroom product that won't drive the HD 565-650 range)

and just to throw this out there, after going through Grado's and Sennheiser's, I've ended up with a pair of K701's (among other things), and been quite happy thus far

I'm not saying "buy K701's unhread" (they're a hate or love headphone, you'll either fall in love with them, or you'll want to burn them down), but if you can listen to a pair for yourself, it might be worth it to try them out

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard all of the 'phones in this thread, but have not owned all of them (I picked the HD 580 over the HD 595 and HD 600 to purchase, and recently sold my last Grado)

as far as amplification, I've never run into issues driving my 580's, and don't own anything "really high end" by head-fi standards (and if that means I'm gonna get the "you're under-driving, you're cotton eared, and you're stupid" responses, so be it, I'm still not spending $2000+ on an amplifier though
wink.gif
)

I'll be honest, I don't know the amp you have, but it should drive them just fine (I've yet to hear of a headroom product that won't drive the HD 565-650 range)

and just to throw this out there, after going through Grado's and Sennheiser's, I've ended up with a pair of K701's (among other things), and been quite happy thus far

I'm not saying "buy K701's unhread" (they're a hate or love headphone, you'll either fall in love with them, or you'll want to burn them down), but if you can listen to a pair for yourself, it might be worth it to try them out

Exactly the response I was looking for thanks for the help! I'll be sure to try out the AKG's I think a Sam Ash around my city has them to audition.

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Upgraditis, welcome back! Its been a long time...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back