Upgraditus! Would like some recommendations
Feb 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

haejuk

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Fiio E7/E9 with DT770 32 Ohm headphones.  I really like how it sounds, but I can't help but thinking that these don't synergize very well and I want to upgrade and try some better equipment.  I was thinking either:

Bifrost > Valhalla > DT770 or 990 600 Ohm
or
Music Streamer (not sure which one yet, maybe just the plus) > Matrix M-Stage > DT770 or 990 (Don't know what ohm).

The questions I have are as follows:
1:  Is the rig with Bifrost and Valhalla going to sound a lot better than the cheaper rig with the M-Stage?

2:  What is a good impedance match for the M-Stage (32, 80, 250, or 600)?  Or are there other well known synergies with the M-Stage?

I was dead-set on Bifrost/Valhalla, but after looking around I am leaning more toward a cheaper set up. 
Let me know what you guys think!

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Bump.

Sorry to have to bump this, but maybe I should have made a more attention grabbing subject line..  like "Valhalla vs. Matrix M-Stage!" for more hits!

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 5
I enjoyed my DT880s more from a tube amp than solid state. The bifrost/valhalla is a nice combo but if you are looking for more value you could go with a Music Streamer II and JDSLabs Objective 2 amp.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I bought the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm last week, great headphones for watching action movies, or want to listen to any audio were you want lots of treble and bass.
Part of me now want to upgrade to the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.

A low cost way to go tube.
Fiio D3 or D5 external DAC ($30)

Indeed G3 EH 6922 single tube headphone amplifier ($120), sold on eBay, ships from china, takes 10 days.
So for $150 you have tube.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 5
I am not sure I am interested in going tube yet, this is why I am leaning more toward solid state amps.  I will check out that G3 EH 6922 though.
I have also heard good things about that Objective 2 amp.  I guess I will look into that too. 

Also, PurpleHeart, I noticed in your sig that you have DT770 Pro 250 Ohm?  I didn't know they made a Pro version at 250 Ohms!  That may be at the top of my list, only because I need closed cans at home.

I am still no closer to knowing which headphones have good synergy with any of the amps.

Thanks for the recommendations, and keep them coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back