upgrading X-CAN V8 - DAC or power supply?
Apr 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Theta49

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have a X-Can V8P (from musical fidelity and equal to the V8)
I am using the built in dac with usb connection and use a pair of HD650

I'm thinking about upgrading it and see two options, both at the same cost:

either I get a better dac, with the DACmagic as the best choice atm

or I buy a better power supply, the X-PSU V8 from musical fidelity

...I'm wondering which option will give the greatest improvement in sound?
Which aspects of sound quality will the improve?

thanks
beyersmile.png

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 15
it's probably a good idea to first upgrade to a nice dac. not really sure about Cambridge DacMagic but my HA ultra micro dac +Astrodyne PSU really bring the dynamic sounding and details. i've never been enjoying music dat much with this dac(tho my first one). It well handles everything properly.

i've purchased a used little pinkie and it's on the way, will report once i got it

tube rolling is also amazing, just makes bass deeper, punchier, and opens the soundstage. i've got Hewlett Packard(1976?) and bugle boy(1972?) atm and siemence e188cc is on its way. in fact, i've just come back from postoffice for picking up the bugle boy so cant really comment much on it.But one thing immediately i notice is the more forward midrange where the HP is a little bit laid back. HP is supposedly sound identical to bugle boy from the same years and same factory. Adding on top of the stock tube, HP is just another level, wider soundstage in the bass range, punchier, thicker and fast.

anyway, heading to office now, morning here in sydney. Btw, i am pairing them with stock V8p too and D5000.

i've tried v-dac but not as much happy as the ultra micro dac. but just by looking at their price, v-dac probably did its job. it's a nearly twice as expensive! but, v-dac hasn't burnt in yet, and will do better after a while, interested in taking mine??lol

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the help
beyersmile.png

about the little pinkie, It's seems really nice, and almost half the price..
(still, a some part of me is screaming for the fancy stuff, I guess I'm just plain stupid >__<)

Just a thought though, would it be possible to drive a future DAC with the X-PSU... ? making it a little bit more worth the extra money..

I am looking for something that's great but not too expensive (since I'm a student and can't afford it)

Would the DACmagic match my X-can in quality/cost or.. does it deserve something slightly better?
(about the DAC19.. would the digital filter version work for me?... since it is within my price range)

Thanks again ^^

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 15
I have the same accessories as you. And currently I am using the build-in DAC too. So I have the same question too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just had a quick comparison between the V8P build-in DAC vs a low-end USB Creative X-Fi surround sound card. Seems the low-end sound card works better in sound stage, but I like the build-in DAC more. As it's more clear, and feel more "natural" while comparing to the X-Fi.

Therefore, I am looking for a DAC too.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theta49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help
beyersmile.png

(still, a some part of me is screaming for the fancy stuff, I guess I'm just plain stupid >__<)

Thanks again ^^

Maybe they improved the X-PSUv8, but the X-PSUv3 did not appear to be so fancy on the inside.... A big trafo bolted to the bottom of the metal box, and some cables. Can't be worth anywhere near 400 euro... There is a picture on the rock grotto forums if you want to see for yourself.

The Pinkie looks quite nice I think, although it's in a plastic enclosure.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 15
Well, did some research

the Audio-gd 's DAC19 DSP will cost me 527gbp, almost twice the cost compared to the DACmagic, though that could be worth the extra money, right?

So, then the question is if there's some retailer (EU) that sells the DAC19 DSP cheaper or that got the DAC19 DF...
(AmpCity - Audio Gd DAC 19DSP 527 gbp within EU
Audiophonics got them as well, though a bit higher price)

the only question that really remains is if I really can afford it >__<

Still open for suggestions though, anyone that got an better solution?

Thanks everyone
beyersmile.png

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 15
I found the V8P's own DAC to be very acceptable and as per the MF house sound of detail, detail and musicality. I changed to a Firestone Fubar USB DAC and Supplier because I wanted more dynamics and a brighter sound. That is my taste and so I would regard it as a change as opposed to an upgrade. The Little Pinky and Firestone would cost about £300.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the V8P's own DAC to be very acceptable and as per the MF house sound of detail, detail and musicality. I changed to a Firestone Fubar USB DAC and Supplier because I wanted more dynamics and a brighter sound. That is my taste and so I would regard it as a change as opposed to an upgrade. The Little Pinky and Firestone would cost about £300.

The Fubar is even brighter than the V8? Is that because highs extend higher, because lows extend less, or because the highs are simply louder?

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the help
beyersmile.png

Just a thought though, would it be possible to drive a future DAC with the X-PSU... ? making it a little bit more worth the extra money..

I combine the MF v-dac with the x-can. The v-dac is a considerable improvement over the internal dac.

There is also a little pinkie for the v-dac. If you like to toy around, for the money you pay for the x-psu alone, you get the v-dac and little pinkies for both the dac and the x-can.
Both pinkies are absolutely great quality and by no means less fancy than the x-psu. I doubt that MF can meet their quality with the x-psu.

If you ask me what to buy first: the dac, no question.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mironathetin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ask me what to buy first: the dac, no question.

Thanks
beyersmile.png

I have decided to spend my money on the DAC19 (and the little pinkie)
that is, as soon as I can afford it >__<
(may take a while sadly)

For the moment I will just enjoy my music

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Thanks
beyersmile.png

I have decided to spend my money on the DAC19 (and the little pinkie)
that is, as soon as I can afford it >__<
(may take a while sadly)

For the moment I will just enjoy my music

Excellent choice
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back