Upgrading USB-DAC - Help
Nov 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gberg

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could help explain some of the benefits I would get from upgrading my current USB-DAC (AMB Gamma-1) to something like a Pico DAC.

My dream set-up would include a Woo Audio 6 amplifier, so I was wondering if upgrading would give me a significant increase in sound quality?

Or would it be better for me to save up and buy something bigger and with a dedicated power supply. (I figure the Pico-DAC is more expensive due to its great compact size)

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Since you already have a Gamma1, you could use it as a basis for upgrading to the Gamma2, which is a major step up in sound quality, and you could probably do it for around $150...
The Gamma2 can be driven by a dedicated power supply as well. A number of people have been discussing options in that area on the Gamma2 thread in the DIY section. I've got a couple of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Voltage-Regulato...DLVI%26ps%3D63
that I'm planning on using for my first Gamma2 (completed) and my second (based on a Gamma1 that I built at the same as the Gamma2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back