Upgrading to UE-10s from Senn 650 & UE Super fi 5 pro, worth it?
Feb 9, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

backbaychef

Head-Fier
Okay, I love my Senn 650s. They are fantastic. But, I currently live in the noisiest place in the world - a college campus. I bought the UE Super fi. 5 pro thinking it would be as good as the 650s. I have found it lacking and not quite up to par with the 650s. Don't get me wrong, they are a big step up from the $20 canal headphones I had back in the day, and more comfortable than them too.

But, they aren't comfortable enough, and I hate having to lay on my back while I listen to music and try and block out my neighbors above me.

To this end I have come to you. Are the UE-10s what I want? I want:

-something that will be comparable with the 650s
-something that will work with my total bithead amp (the UE-5's gave a hiss when attached directly to the amp, and with the little impede thing [forgive me for not know the term] included it cut out tons of volume and made performance terrible).
-something that will allow me to lay on my side
-something that is more comfortable than the UE-5s. (How comfortable are the UE-10s really, I mean with the soft parts added)

I have read a few reviews on the UE-10s, but nothing comparing them to what I really need them compared to (the stuff I already have).

I like the idea of them being portable but better quality, and more comfortable. Is it worth $1k to upgrade from what I already have?

Thanks,

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshocked.net

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 17
In a word - YES!. However, I strongly suggest you wait for the E500. You may like that a bit more and it is half the price of the UE-10.

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by backbaychef
I like the idea of them being portable but better quality, and more comfortable. Is it worth $1k to upgrade from what I already have?

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshocked.net

I don´t know the Senn650, but I have the Grado RS1, AKG K1000 and UE10Pro.
I would recommend the Westone ES3 because in my opinion they are a step ahead of the UE10 and therefore worth the 1k-investment. Check my reports part2 and 3 for more info. Keep in mind that a 120Ohm resistor is imperative and I don´t know if that matches with the bithead. Depends on the output voltage of it. If you should invest for the ES3, you have reached the end of the road (at least I had. If I wouldn´t be so lazy, I would sell all the other stuff because I don´t listen to these any more).
Greetings from Germany
UAndy

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 17
Hello, I am also a college student and I switched from HD-650's w/ BDv2 and HF-1's to the UE-10 pro and I recommend doing so. I used to own a pair of ER-4P's for isolation, but the sound quality couldn't compare to the HD-650's and the comfort was horrible. I loved the sound of the HD-650's, but for college they weren't ideal because they aren't portable and don't offer any isolation. Now that I have the UE-10 pro I can use them anywhere and have sound quality on the same level as the HD-650's (better than HF-1), although the presentation is very different. The isolation is great for college and the comfort is outstanding. I personally wouldn't recommend waiting for the E500's because I hate universal IEM's due to the lack of comfort, even if the sound quailty is better. The downside though is the cost, not just the price, but the fact that they are not resellable. If comfort weren't as much of an issue I would definitely recommend waiting for the E500 because they are the better deal, but since comfort is important to you, definitely go with custom. I can lay on my side and go to sleep with the UE-10's in, which was never possible before. Another plus is that they are totally custom (mine are translucent blue and black swirled) and the customer service is fantastic. Don't worry if you have to get them refit because it only takes about a day for them to fix and it is worth it in the end. So, yes, as someone who was in a similar situation to you, I do recommend the switch.

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
Hello, I am also a college student and I switched from HD-650's w/ BDv2 and HF-1's to the UE-10 pro and I recommend doing so.

I'm siding with JMcMasterJ, on this one. E500 are suppose to come out in May. Again that is a tentive date. Who knows if they do or what quantities will be like in the begining.

Comfort the UE10s are going to better. Tried too many universal IEMS and none in my mind comes close to the UE10s.

If comfort isn't an issue or you stand to wait until they become readily available, then by all means go for the E500. You could also wait alittle longer and read the reviews here before getting them.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 17
Welcome, matey. Sorry about the wallet.

Well, I can't speak to the ES3 or upcoming E500. I upgraded to the Sensaphonics 2X-S which is generally accepted to be a peer of the ES3 and UE10 Pro, and I do find it is an improvement in sound quality that doesn't leave me feel lacking as compared to the HD650 (though the HD650 is better) and is far superior to the super.fi 5 pro. I'd imagine any of the top custom IEM meet your criteria quite well, so you're looking in the right direction.

I miss Boston... which restaurant?

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 17
You are the second person to catch on that it's in boston. Though I'm not really a chef. It's a long story.

Now as far as teh UE are they going to come out with anything to compete with the E-500s. I think for me custom is really the only way for me to go. Comfort is as important as the sound, and good isolation is really important. But of course I would want better if better is about to come.

Thanks for everyone posting!

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com
www.cultureshocked.net

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 17
Note that the UE-5 is not the same thing as the super.fi 5pro. The UE-5c is a custom IEM which is superior to the 5pro.

I'm wondering about the Westone ES2 myself. It's alot cheaper.

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 17
Feb 14, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by backbaychef
The other question is, will UE be coming out with a new model to compete with the E500?

I just sent them a email today asking that exact thing. No response yet. I am in the same boat as you. See the sig for details. UE10 here I come!!!! A small part of me is eying up the 2xs as well, but I am pretty sure the UE10 is for me

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 17
It really depends on your ears. The E500's were very comfortable to me. And I actually had a chance to personally listen to them and wear them. Vs. making sweeping generalization based on what other people have said.

The newer "football nerf" foam ear tips may even be better. Well, at least they won't be bright yellow. (wasn't my favorite choice of color).

If you can't wait, then go ahead and get the UE10's. You won't regret it.

Well, unless you end up liking the E500's later on...
tongue.gif

-Ed

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
It really depends on your ears. The E500's were very comfortable to me. And I actually had a chance to personally listen to them and wear them. Vs. making sweeping generalization based on what other people have said.

The newer "football nerf" foam ear tips may even be better. Well, at least they won't be bright yellow. (wasn't my favorite choice of color).

If you can't wait, then go ahead and get the UE10's. You won't regret it.

Well, unless you end up liking the E500's later on...
tongue.gif

-Ed

The thing for me is that comfort is a huge reason I am going custom. ER4p;s were better for fit I thought than the E4cs, but even with foamies I get irritation and have to constantly adjust them. I also get uneven seal a lot of times because one of my ear canals is smaller than the other, or at least I think so. I just don't think universal could come close to the hours upon hours of comfort I am looking for. I don't want to have to think about these things at all.

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 17
I have HD650+zu and Shure E4c. For me the Senns are much better cause they give you soundstage while the in ears give you a picture of sound within your brain. I dont know if UE-10 are much better than the Shures in this area but for me its a no brainer.

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #15 of 17
Yes I agree, comfort is most important. I hate the Super fi 5 pro's because of that. Yeah they are the most comfortable canal headphones I have had, but my ears hurt after a couple of hours. Comfort is most important.

I just want to make sure I don't buy the UE-10s and have them come out with some new ones the same price or a couple hundred more the next month or so.

What is the +zu for on the HD650+zu?

BackBayChef
www.how2dance.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back