Upgrading to new headphone for movies/gaming
Nov 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Stealth3si

Head-Fier
Hello, I am a headphone newbie. I already use an HT system but, aside from applying room correction, Dynamic Volume (for night time) and turning down the volume, I'd still love to crank the volume up on a full-scale surround sound configuration without annoying everyone around me, particularly when I watch movies or game at night. The solution for me is a headphone. 

This is my current headphone night time setup:

1.) Denon AVR-1712 > Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.

Alternatively I can use the following audio setup as well:

2.) Asus Xonar DX Sound Card > O2 Headphone Amp Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.

Certain features I'm looking for are:

1.) Open-back
2.) Natural sound
3.) LFE bass (from movies/games)
4.) Comfort/circumaural

I'm replacing Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 because it is:
1.) mostly used for music
2.) closed-back
3.) when plugged into the AVR for certain movies/games, it crackles/clips during noticeable low frequencies, i.e., rumbling deep low bass

My budget is $500 or more. Any advice is appreciated. TIA!

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 2
Headphones for movies/gaming probably isn't so popular in this forum but if anyone wants to chime in, after some googling here are some headphones I'm deciding between the following. I am considering trying them all out but I'd rather narrow down my choices to a couple or few.

$700 - Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla
$550 - Beyerdynamic T90
$300 - HiFiMAN HE-400i
$258 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium/Edition (600 Ohm)
$215 - AKG K7XX Massdrop LE
$60 - Pioneer SE-A1000 (Comparable to $400 Sennheiser HD650, according to Head-Fi members)

My updated order of preference is comfort, bass for movies/games, soundstage, rock/metal music. 

They will be powered by AC powered O2 desktop amp + Asus Xonar DX PC sound card instead of direct from the AVR.

Allow me to explain my preferences:

In the evening, without annoying others, I cannot watch action/adventure/war movies (and modern horror movies, i.e. "The Conjuring") and play certain games, that all have very low deep bass, where sounds in this range tend to be felt more than heard. I use my HT speaker system late at night (on dynamic volume) only for movies and games where there aren't much LFE (i.e. drama/thriller/comedy, TV shows).

What prompted me for a new headphone is that it will be used for late-night movies + casual gaming with prevalent sub-bass. I need it to deliver down to 20 Hz bass or below, where I can feel the vibrations from the LFE without hearing much audible sound, enhancing the overall sensation of the bass. I say this in full recognition that no headphones can replicate subwoofers' capability. My old headphone tends to crackle/clip at low sub-bass parts of an action/horror movie at high volume. But then again, it might be just me expecting too much from headphones.

Next, for movies and casual, non-competitive FPS/TPS gaming, I need a bigger and directional soundstage around me, where I am immersed within the environment, not inside my head. Although, I do not want an overly directional soundstage that is tailored for hardcore/competitive FPS gaming (i.e., hearing distant footsteps but lacking sub-bass), I want it to be large enough that the Dolby Headphone and Virtual 7.1 surround sound features of my Asus Xonar DX benefit from a wider soundstage.

I am also considering and sort of hoping, but not at all requiring, that the new headphone can complement rock/metal/indie music competently enough to be an improvement over the DT 770-80's closed soundstage without taking precedence over my bass preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back