Upgrading to good speakers. Please help newbie to understand a couple of things about speakers & how to set up them.
Jul 26, 2015 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dsymbol

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
First of all, thank you for spending time reading my post.
I'm new to audio & know nothing about it.

I've had the Audio Engine A2 for 2 years & I plug it straight into the Laptop (or phone when I travel) to listen to my music (trance/edm only)

I do like its compact size (I travel with them), its convenience of plug-n-play from my laptop or android htc m9.

Now, it's time to upgrade to better speakers. & for the past 2 weeks, I've been reading so much & decided to get the Eve Audio SC204.

Next week, I'll flight to Singapore, the closest country that has the Eve sc204. & that pro audio shop only have them on display & they said they've only been playing approximately 40 hours & will give me a discount.

I'm gonna have some silly & annoying questions, hope you guys can help me out.

1. How much better my upgrade will sound comparing to the Audio Engine A2?

2. Should I choose a brand new pair or the display in the shop who break-in the speakers for me?

3. The frequency response of both Audio Engine A2 & Eve Audio SC204 is 65hz, however, the Eve 204's woofer is bigger than that of the A2, does that mean the bass of the Eve audio sc204 will be better?

4. Online picture showing the back of Eve sc204 & I see something like 3.5mm input, female 3-pin plug, & a bluetooth input.
The tech spec indicates the inputs are RCA & XLR. That 3.5mm input must be RCA & the female 3-pin plug is XLR, correct?

5. I read that XLR is recommended for better sounds. Correct?
So, to connect my Android Phone to Eve sc204, I need a 3.5 mm TRS to Dual XLR, correct? (because 1 source of music < 2 speakers)

6. If I can't connect the phone directly to the speakers using 3.5mm TRS to Dual XLR input, then I must need a DAC? correct?
if Yes, what would be the most convenient DAC to connect all these things together?

Thank you all for your time & advice.
D

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 13
XLR is a balanced connection.
It offers better noise rejection compared with RCA.
XLR is typical for the pro-world where you have a studio with tons of gear and long cable runs.

In your case I would settle for 3.5 to 2x RCA as there is nothing balanced about the phone's output.

Thanks Roseval.
3.5 to 2 RCA then.

Any other advices regarding my questions above please?

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 13
No 
smily_headphones1.gif

1 I do think impossible to answer as sound quality is in the ear of the beholder

2 If they are in mint condition, play loud without distortion , full warrant applies, I would settle for a discount on a showroom model 

3 I expect a better controlled bass most of all. I do think the A2 bass heavy, hope this not the case with the Eve.

6 Easy at the PC side, bit troublesome on the phone as USB audio on Android is not mature. 
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/Android_USB.htm

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 13
No :)

1 I do think impossible to answer as sound quality is in the ear of the beholder

2 If they are in mint condition, play loud without distortion , full warrant applies, I would settle for a discount on a showroom model 

3 I expect a better controlled bass most of all. I do think the A2 bass heavy, hope this not the case with the Eve.

6 Easy at the PC side, bit troublesome on the phone as USB audio on Android is not mature. 
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/Android_USB.htm

2. Yes, they've been playing only 40h & being offered 1 year warranty.

3. I emailed a pro audio store in the States where it has Adam artist 3, A3x, F5, & Eve audio sc204 & asked what they would recommend based on my need. They sales guy there also recommended Eve sc204. He said it has the most bass extension comparing with those that i've mentioned.

6. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks Roseval.

I would look at something that has a 5" woofer minimum.

In will audition both Eve sc204 & sc205 which has 5" woofer.
I do hope that they dont sound that much different because i LOVE the size of sc204.
Thanks radosuaf for the recommendation.
Cant wait until next week !

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 13
In will audition both Eve sc204 & sc205 which has 5" woofer.
I do hope that they dont sound that much different because i LOVE the size of sc204.

If they don't sound different when it comes to bass, there is something wrong with the SC205. Smaller drivers typically will not have the deeper bass extension of larger drivers in the same make/model line. If you want smaller size, you will have to sacrifice that.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 13

If they don't sound different when it comes to bass, there is something wrong with the SC205. Smaller drivers typically will not have the deeper bass extension of larger drivers in the same make/model line. If you want smaller size, you will have to sacrifice that.

My current setup with the Audio Engine A2 is straight up plugging to the comp or the phone. Not going through DAC or anything.

This time, I'm gonna get whatever accessories (DAC) to go with the Eve sc204/sc205. so, I can imagine that even with 4" woofer, the sc204 is gonna blow my current Audio Engine A2 out of the water.

My flight is booked for a trip to Singapore next week to audition & bring home the best ones.
Thank you for your advice.

Quote:
  If possible audition a 204 + TS107
204= 64 Hz (at  - 3 db I guess)
205= 53 Hz 
107= 36 Hz

Thats what soundonsound.com recommended. sc204 + sub.
i'll be using the speakers in my apartment or hotel room, so having a sub might cause troubles with the neighbors.

Having not heard any high-end active near-field monitors, & comparing to my current Audio Engine A2, I can imagine that sc204 is more than enough hahaha. Will see if I need 5" of sc205.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Roseval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back