Upgrading to DAC1
Aug 26, 2005 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JMcMasterJ

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've been thinking about getting a DAC1 to replace my Micro DAC and SM3 and I want some opinions. I am using my SM3 with SA5534-OBCA and I am pretty happy with the way it sounds, but I find myself wanting more. I think I want more detail and clarity. I'd be using my laptop to connect to the DAC1 and connecting my HD650's to the headphone out or XLR outputs. I think the DAC1 will improve upon the Micro DAC, but I'm just worried about the headphone out and if it will be as good. I'd like to use the XLR output, but how much better will it be without an amp? I would probably try to get an amp in the future, but will I be happier with this upgrade? I'd like to try one out, but I don't know of any place.
Thanks

Jonathan

Aug 26, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 21
Well first off you have to consider what type of sound you are looking for (from the DAC). Some people consider the DAC1 to be a side-step from the Micro DAC rather than an "upgrade," with the DAC1 being cold, analytical, etc. and the Micro DAC being warmer and hence less detailed. Are you not happy with your Micro DAC's sound signature?

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Well first off you have to consider what type of sound you are looking for (from the DAC). Some people consider the DAC1 to be a side-step from the Micro DAC rather than an "upgrade," with the DAC1 being cold, analytical, etc. and the Micro DAC being warmer and hence less detailed. Are you not happy with your Micro DAC's sound signature?

So the DAC1 is consider a side step and not an upgrade from Mirco DAC?

What is like good sound card to a Micro DAC.. is that consider a update? I thought internally the soundblaster uses the same DAC as the Micro.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
So the DAC1 is consider a side step and not an upgrade from Mirco DAC?

What is like good sound card to a Micro DAC.. is that consider a update? I thought internally the soundblaster uses the same DAC as the Micro.

According to SOME people, yes it's considered a side-step...some people even consider the DAC1 to be behind the Micro DAC. I've never listened to the DAC1 so I cannot personally comment.

I've heard that the Micro DAC is ahead of EMU cards both stock and modded. Crazyfrenchman27 made this comparison. Lan owns modded EMU cards up to 1820m, DAC1, as well as the Overture, and he prefers the Overture as well.

The Micro DAC uses the Cirrus Logic's highest DAC, the CS4398 chip. I'd be really surprised if it is also found in SB cards.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
According to SOME people, yes it's considered a side-step...some people even consider the DAC1 to be behind the Micro DAC. I've never listened to the DAC1 so I cannot personally comment.

I've heard that the Micro DAC is ahead of EMU cards both stock and modded. Crazyfrenchman27 made this comparison. Lan owns modded EMU cards up to 1820m, DAC1, as well as the Overture, and he prefers the Overture as well.

The Micro DAC uses the Cirrus Logic's highest DAC, the CS4398 chip. I'd be really surprised if it is also found in SB cards.

Wow....had no idea that the MicroDAC was THAT highly thought of. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in eliminating it from consideration.

I'd really decided against the DAC1 as I don't like bright or analytical gear. Wonder how the Bel Canto and Apogee's sound? In any event, the Micro might get another look. Certainly won't mind saving a few bucks for a sidestep!!

Aug 26, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 21
The micro dac is a pretty nice versatile device. I think it rivals and may best the CI VDA-1, although it's been a while since I head one. I've been considering a desktop amp with the Max Dac for $998 (minius 10% discount). I don't need another headamp but I would have a dac that should rival the Benchmark and Bel Canto. I would also have the the headamp to use when needed. It also functions as a preamp.

Aug 26, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
Hey, I've been thinking about getting a DAC1 to replace my Micro DAC and SM3 and I want some opinions. I am using my SM3 with SA5534-OBCA and I am pretty happy with the way it sounds, but I find myself wanting more. I think I want more detail and clarity. I'd be using my laptop to connect to the DAC1 and connecting my HD650's to the headphone out or XLR outputs. I think the DAC1 will improve upon the Micro DAC, but I'm just worried about the headphone out and if it will be as good. I'd like to use the XLR output, but how much better will it be without an amp? I would probably try to get an amp in the future, but will I be happier with this upgrade? I'd like to try one out, but I don't know of any place.
Thanks

Jonathan

Nah, I think you should keep SM3 and buy DAC1. I compared DAC1's headphone out vs. DAC1 line-out->SM3 (744OB), and the latter was clearly superior, with gobs more resolution, detail, and life. I haven't tried 5534 family in CAOB, but in OB, I do find this family to sound too dark and lacking resolution. Perhaps 744 CAOB is your ticket?

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Nah, I think you should keep SM3 and buy DAC1. I compared DAC1's headphone out vs. DAC1 line-out->SM3 (744OB), and the latter was clearly superior, with gobs more resolution, detail, and life. I haven't tried 5534 family in CAOB, but in OB, I do find this family to sound too dark and lacking resolution. Perhaps 744 CAOB is your ticket?

Yeah I think it would be really hard to get rid of the SM3. I love trying out different opamps and have tried about every one that has been discussed on xin's forum. I've been a little unsatisfied and things kept getting better with the LT chips and then when I switched to NE4434 CAOB, I was really satisfied. I tried 744 in OB, but haven't yet in CAOB, I'll try that. I love how tweakable the SM3 is. The Micro DAC is a great source and is very flexible, but the DAC1 would be more flexible when upgrading to a home setup. I think the best thing to do is just compare the two side by side.

edit: I think I might also get a Silver Dragon headphone cable when the v2 comes out. I liked the way it sounded compared to the Blue Dragon.

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
I'd like to try one out, but I don't know of any place.

I've also been considering a DAC1 but have been unable to find a place to try one; however, the more I think about it, the less I think it matters because the DAC1 holds its value so well. If you decide you don't like it, it wouldn't be too difficult to resell it at a good percentage of its original cost.

It'd also be really cool if you did get one because I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about the differences between the MicroDAC and the DAC1 in direct comparison.

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
I've also been considering a DAC1 but have been unable to find a place to try one; however, the more I think about it, the less I think it matters because the DAC1 holds its value so well. If you decide you don't like it, it wouldn't be too difficult to resell it at a good percentage of its original cost.

It'd also be really cool if you did get one because I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about the differences between the MicroDAC and the DAC1 in direct comparison.

Yeah I could just try it out for 30 days and compare it to the Micro DAC. Hopefully there will also be a local meet I could go to. It's also just fun getting new stuff. It sometimes gets boring having the same old stuff. akwok knows what I'm talking about
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 21
Yeah, I'd be careful about upgrading to the DAC1. It's not as warm as the micro DAC, especially if you're using the included amplifier. I prefer the SM to the headphone out of the DAC1.

If you can, try before you buy.

I personally prefer the micro DAC to the E-Mu soundcards, but that's me. I think the E-mu soundcards could use a little warmth in order to sound more organic (esp. 0404).

-Matt

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Alright well I think I'll stick w/ the Micro DAC for right now. I'll see if I can try a DAC1 sometime though. The Micro DAC is really good. When I first got it I didn't think my SM3 was good enough for it. I am really enjoying this setup now with the SM3 in OBCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back