Upgrading the SR60's
Mar 24, 2007 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MarineLand

Head-Fier
Finally gonna sell them

I'm not looking to break the bank or anything

but are the SR80's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade? If not, how high in the Grado line should I go.

I'm also open to know about any non-grado alternatives that'll give a good bang for my buck

Basically anything that'll sound great with my PAV2

(are moon audio grado phones worth the moolah?)

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm certain most people here would agree the SR60 to SR80 is not much of an upgrade (many people may not even hear the difference). There aren't too many differences between the Prestige series cans. You get a little more detail and refinement up the line, but this is still dependent on your source.

If you like the Grado sound, you should probably just go for the RS-1 and get it over with. Those will sound better than the SR60s.

You might also try getting flat or bowl pads. Those completely change the sound, and both are better than the stock comfy pads.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 21
The SR80 are better imo better than the SR60, but not worth upgrading. I would have reached higher..
Why not tell us your budget?

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 21
If you are gonna go for sr80, I'd suggest you consider just spending $15 and get a pair of bowl pads for your sr60.
I did feel the sr225 was a noticable increase in sound quality for me.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 21
Yes, if there was one upgrade I'm sure everyone could recommend at this point, it's the 225's. I had the 80's for a while and they're really great for the money, and definitely an upgrade over the 60's, but to be honest, not that much compared to the improvement the 225's bring. The 125's I've heard on a few occasions and didn't like them - they're too bright, especially with the bowl pads.

edit: Response to above post: Nope, each Grado has a unique driver. They're all based on the same general design but undergo different processing which gives them their unique sound signatures.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 21
Another "Grado" pair of phones that may be worth a look are the Alessandro MS-1s. They fall into about the same price range as the SR-80 but offer many of the same component upgrades as the SR-125. They don't sound much like either one though, same Grago house sound but toned down a bit.

There are plenty of MS-1 threads floating around so it would be easy to find out what they're all about within just a few minutes of easy reading.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 21
I've heard that a lot of people prefer the SR60s to the SR80s, especially for listening out of an ipod. Apparently they're more forgiving of sources.

I know I didn't much care for my SR80s out of an ipod. That's why I upgraded to the Senn 595s. The detail was just as (or at least almost as) good, without the brightness, and the soundstage was a huge improvement.

Edit: They are twice as expensive, though (unless you're willing to buy through Amazon marketplace).

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineLand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally gonna sell them

I'm not looking to break the bank or anything

but are the SR80's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade? If not, how high in the Grado line should I go.

I'm also open to know about any non-grado alternatives that'll give a good bang for my buck

Basically anything that'll sound great with my PAV2

(are moon audio grado phones worth the moolah?)

Quote:

I'm looking at a budget of 200$ canadian max

but the upgrade would need to be significant if I'm going to splurge all that

Perhaps you should talk about what it is you find lacking in the SR60 and what areas you are looking to improve.
Then there is the problem of "significant" being a rather subjective unit of measure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

I'm looking at a budget of 200$ canadian max

but the upgrade would need to be significant if I'm going to splurge all that

I would strongly suggest you spend a few minutes reviewing a few threads on both the MS-1 and the SR-225 and try to get an idea of what these two sets of cans are all about.

The MS-1 you can get easily within your budget, but the SR-225 would have to be used. But they both sound quite a bit different than each other and each has a very strong cadre of faithful followers. I believe it is universally accepted that each of these phones would be a significant upgrade in their own right.

Basically; if you like the SR-60 yer probably gonna luv the SR-225, If the SR-60 is a bit bright or harsh to your ears, then the MS-1 would be the better bet.

From a "dollar standpoint" living in Canada, the MS-1 is without doubt the value leader.

But be forwarned; if you are in any way an Alessandro type and end up getting a pair of MS-1, watch out.

They're addictive.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should talk about what it is you find lacking in the SR60 and what areas you are looking to improve.
Then there is the problem of "significant" being a rather subjective unit of measure.
smily_headphones1.gif

I find them very lacking in soundstage but I love the warmness of the cans

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 21
Like warmness? MS-1 baby, MS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the SR80 exactly the same headphone as the SR60, but with a different cable and bowl pads?

The 80's have a slightly larger pad and they are bowls, and it uses a 4 connector cable, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back