Upgrading suggestions... $140 CDN
Jun 1, 2009 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Adreneline

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I want to try a new headphone, something that does what I like better. I have the RX700's right now, and do love them. I very much like how they sound.

What can be had for $140 CDN (taxes + shipping included)? I listen to a lot of rock/metal/progressive and some techno/electronica etc. Some bands from above include Muse, Coheed and Cambria, In Flames, The Human Abstract, Avenged Sevenfold, Radiohead, Daft Punk, Dream Theater, etc..

I have really craved the MS-1i and they look great, but the no soundstage bothers me, but I'm not sure if it would bother me or not. The RX700 don't have a HUGE soundstage, but they have a nice one I think. If anyone's heard both, is the MS-1i much smaller?

Any other suggestions?

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 11
Hmm. What about the AD700? I'm kind of worried about the anemic bass, but at the same time I don't know if I'd like the "2D" imaging of the MS-1i.

Decisions decisions... how are the AD700 for rock/metal?

I have a bass boost on my amp if that helps. AV40 speaker amp.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 11
To me, a "great soundstage" means highly recessed mids. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, I can't imagine how "enormous soundstage" will sound like.

Grado's too upfront to have any "room" for soundstage. But it's very engaging to listen to.

edit: By the way, if you listen to rock, there's no need for soundstaging (leave that for the jazz, orchestra and classical music). What's more important is instrument separation and a very nicely coloured sound signature to go with the strings and vocal.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, a "great soundstage" means highly recessed mids. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's true to certain extend, but not always. For example, K501.

To OP: If you can increase your budget a bit, you can buy some used HD580s, they have soundstage and are good for techno or electronica, ok for rock. You need an amp though.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks guys.

Someone is offering me $80 cdn shipped for MS1, is that good? Or is the MS1i better for $119 CDN (plus the risk of maybe getting charged taxes/duties/customs).

So basically is the MS1i $40+ better?

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys.

Someone is offering me $80 cdn shipped for MS1, is that good? Or is the MS1i better for $119 CDN (plus the risk of maybe getting charged taxes/duties/customs).

So basically is the MS1i $40+ better?

I doubt that it's $40 better. 80 CAD for an MS1 is a great deal, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back