Upgrading source
Dec 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Groove

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I've just registered to the forum but I've been reading for a long time. Unfortunately I did not find a thread specifically addressing my current situation, so I thought maybe someone can help me out with an advice ^_^.
My current setup is Asus Xonar STX => Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear => HD800. So I am thinking about upgrading my source, since it is probably my weakest link. I've laid my eyes on a couple of possibilities;
North Star 192 DAC
Audio Note DAC2.1
Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3
as well as selling my lehmann and maybe getting a grace m902.
As far as I've read, musical fidelity isn't worth getting without a psu upgrade but if I get both, it's a great value. Audio Note supposed to be a good dyi dac, and I'm buying it built, but it's kinda expensive, the questions is, is it worth it? There isn't a whole lot of information about north star 192 but what I've read was very positive. Grace m902 supposed to lose to lehmann in the amplifier department, but supposedly it is a good dac.
Please, anyone who has some experience/opinion, I'd very much like to hear. Maybe even some other options, though it is questionable whether I'll be able to buy it here in Israel, ofcourse shipping is always an option but the thought of buying something without auditioning it first kinda makes me cringe.
Thanks.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 6
Why not just get the Grace m903 with 24/192 USB built in?

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m903/m903.htm

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Well as far as trying something locally, Are you familiar with the TeddyDAC?  I've heard a demo unit at a an expo and it did some impressive playback with the Brodmann VC2 speakers. I understand that the distribiutor allows for a private audition if asked.

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Why not just get the Grace m903 with 24/192 USB built in?

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m903/m903.htm

I would very much like to keep my amp if possible, besides, it is in my understanding that m903 is very close to m902 no?

Quote:
Well as far as trying something locally, Are you familiar with the TeddyDAC?  I've heard a demo unit at a an expo and it did some impressive playback with the Brodmann VC2 speakers. I understand that the distribiutor allows for a private audition if asked.

Actually, I stumbled upon this dac some time ago when looking on naim headline + teddy cap as an amp option. Never gave that dac much thought though, I see it's quite expensive, I wonder how it sounds, I'll go read about it a bit.. As far as auditioning is concerned, I doubt I'll get one in Israel heh... maybe they'll send one of those as a comforting gift cause of the fire :D.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 6

Not sure if you're still looking for comments on this, but thought I would put forward a few thoughts in case you are. 

The Audio Note DAC 2.1x is quite remarkable. AN DACs allow the emotional content of the music to flow in a way that few other digital devices seem able to achieve in my experience. One issue is that you would need to look seriously at interface options if you don't intend to use a transport. AN themselves are somewhat skeptical (though not dismissive) of computer interfaces as a replacement for transports, having said that I don't know how many different interface solutions they have trialled.

Another DAC that you might want to consider is the Lector Digicode 2.24 which is a wonderfully vivid performer. Whereas the AN DAC is wonderfully rich, subtle and beguiling the Lector's strong points are extraordinary litheness and non-fatiguing detail, Both are thrilling to listen to. Please bear in mind that my comments relate to their performance with the matching transports; careful auditioning would tell you whether something like a HiFace Evo could offer similar performance to use of the transport.

As Bones13 suggests it might be mistake to go for the m902 when the m903 is around the corner, mainly because the latter incorporates asynchronous USB licensed from Wavelength. I would be delighted (and a little surprised) if the Grace can approach the previously mentioned valve DACs in terms of nuanced delivery, although it will almost certainly be more 'accurate' from a technical standpoint. I'm looking forward to listening to one when they are released.

Another DACs that looks intriguing is the Wavelength Cosecant (with async USB). Perhaps those who have heard one might comment? Also the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC is rather good and they have developed the slot-in Bridge which is supposed to be a high-quality streaming audio solution.  

You are totally correct not to wish to buy without listening first - unless a retailer offers home trials or a great returns policy, having equipment sent to you unheard and hoping for the best could result in considerable unhappiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back