Upgrading sound quality on laptop?
Jan 5, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm00 View Post
What if our budget was less then 150.00? Would the M-Audio Transit give me better quality then the Audio Advantage Micro? Is it really worth the extra money to get the EMU 0404 usb?
I'm very interested on this question. Is the EMU 0404 USB worth the extra bucks if you're hardly going to use the recording features? Is the DAC section worth the extra money?

I'm also extremely interested in this.

So far, the only test I've been able to make is to compare the RCA outputs of the Edirol UA-1EX (80€) with the RCA outputs of the M-Audio Fast Track Pro (230€) on my dad's setup: Rotel 1062 + B&W 704 speakers. I also tried it on Rotel 1062 + K501 headphones.

Conclusion: no audible difference. That being said, I can't tell the difference between an original CD playing through my dad's Marantz CD67 SE with expensive interconnects and a Lame Standard MP3 playing through my Fast Track Pro with cheap interconnects. The only difference I spot are further down the chain: amp, speaker cables, speakers.

The only real difference I could see between these two devices UA-1EX and Fast Track Pro were the built in headphone amps. The UA-1EX is total rubbish but what do you expect from such a small device. The headphone out of the Fast Track Pro is sufficient to drive my K501s and with decent sound. Not quite as good as out of the Rotel 1062 (slightly less bass punch) but the difference is very marginal. And the price difference is 700€.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by andre.beat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very interested on this question. Is the EMU 0404 USB worth the extra bucks if you're hardly going to use the recording features? Is the DAC section worth the extra money?

Just looking at the specifications alone, the 0404 USB has a great DAC section. As it also has digital outs, one could easily upgrade to a better (non-USB) DAC in the future.

I am using the Transit USB at the moment, but am annoyed that it doesn't bypass the kmixer despite already using ASIO.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 30
Under $50? At that price point, if you're not worried about getting the absolute best sq for your buck, mebbies consider a consumer level non-usb soundcard. No unwieldly external boxes, nor loose cables (bwaha, floozies!), and if you're into gaming, you also get hardware acceleration and eax. Does your lappy have pcmcia, or an expresscard slot? Audigy 2 ZS notebook for the former, X-Fi notebook (around $60 if you look) for the later.

Or you could get one of those headstage usb dac cables ($39) and a cheap cmoy amp off fleebay.

bloblaugh.gif
(shameless plug - instead of a cmoy, spend extra and get a xenos amp from me!)

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #20 of 30
how is the X-Fi notebook card? I noticed it said optical out, but shows a picture of a headphone? Aren't most headphones analog? Oh, and would an AT-A900 benefit from this card or even the xenos amp you mentioned?

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancekat59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at Echo Indigo DJ or Echo Indigo I/O cards - great sound!

I agree, only reason I am selling mine is to fund a pico.

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, only reason I am selling mine is to fund a pico.

Heheh! I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a Pico, too!
I also have a Dell 600m... curious, do you get a tiny bit of jitter/noise from the computer like I do with the Echo Indigo?

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancekat59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh! I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a Pico, too!
I also have a Dell 600m... curious, do you get a tiny bit of jitter/noise from the computer like I do with the Echo Indigo?

No, from where the HP out or the line out? I use ASIO through Foobar fwiw.

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, from where the HP out or the line out? I use ASIO through Foobar fwiw.

I have the old original (discontinued) Indigo which has just one output, duplicated on 2 headphone jacks.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkb2948 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is the X-Fi notebook card? I noticed it said optical out, but shows a picture of a headphone? Aren't most headphones analog? Oh, and would an AT-A900 benefit from this card or even the xenos amp you mentioned?

The X-Fi notebook has 2 jacks onboard, one input, the other output. Each jack shares analog and digital (optical via mini 3.5mm toslink), so you'll be fine with analog headphones directly to the X-Fi.

(mmm bit-matched playback via optical, yummy)

Generally, any headphone (even $5 cheapies) will benefit from moving off integrated sound on a laptop. Onboard lappy sound tends to be quite noisy, and who wants pops and crackles when scrolling pages and moving the mouse around? And flat frequency response? Hahaha!

As for whether an amp between the X-Fi and headphones will be benificial, browse the forums, there are plenty of threads on the topic (general info, don't need to be specific to X-Fi notebook - too niche. The specific headphones you have is the key item in researching a matching amp) A quality additional amplification stage should be beneficial, but the important question is will you notice it, and how much utility will you really gain?

My brother has an X-Fi notebook (on a everex xt5000t), he's on the other end of the spectrum from an audiophile, yet he's still very happy with the difference from his integrated sound.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #28 of 30
IMHO, for around 50$, one of your only options is a DIY built Alien DAC. Either by yourself, then you can afford a decent case and stuff.. or built by someone, in an inexpensive enclosure. BTW, the Alien DAC competes with commercial DACs 2 or 3 times its price, easily. Parts cost alone after shipping, including a mini jack and a cheap enclosure is probably close to 50$.. I don't remember exactly. I've got one in a simple enclosure that I'd sell for a bit more than parts, the first one I built. It's a standard build (no boutique caps, special case work, etc..). you could probably find something similar for about the same.. add a few bucks and you can find them in a nice aluminum case with varying levels of casework, RCA jacks or mini's, upgraded output capacitors, etc.. some really good ones sell for around 130$. Even the base conifig is a definite and substantial upgrade in most terms (clarity, detail, separation, dynamics, bandwidth, etc) that would be hard to beat!

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #29 of 30
If you're on a budget, try a Behringer UCA202. I'm very happy with mine! Sounds much better than my laptop's output.

Edit: Behringer have ASIO drivers available, but I couldn't get it going under Foobar (nor with ASIO4All). Not that I care, sounds fine from WMP.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're on a budget, try a Behringer UCA202. I'm very happy with mine! Sounds much better than my laptop's output.

Is it loud enough? Which headphones did you try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back