Upgrading sound quality on laptop?
Jan 3, 2008 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

rkb2948

100+ Head-Fier
Any good way of going about doing this? A sound card I would think is out of the question, is there such a thing as a USB soundcard? And if so, whats a good one?

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 30
An entry good one is the Headroom Micro DAC.

It can be connected via USB, and with no drivers required to be installed.

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 30
i just finished putting my Monica USB dac together today. after a quick trip to pick up a USB cable, i plugged everything in...and she sings beautifully.
if you don't mind a little DIY, the Monica is a very affordable, very good sounding dac.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the chance to audition this Audio Advantage Micro unit a little and thought it was good enough that I am wanting to get one for myself just to get a better audition.

Ive got the Micra and like the both the sound and functionality, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to easily switch between using it and using my laptops' speakers.
Not trying to sidetrack this thread, but I would recommend this if I knew how to do the above easily.
Any idea?

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An entry good one is the Headroom Micro DAC.

It can be connected via USB, and with no drivers required to be installed.

I second the MicroDAC.
Besides it can also be used as a portable and it includes optical and coaxial inputs ...

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 30
Get a Headamp Pico, that would do it but there are solutions in your range that will get a signal to a DAC.

Get the Hagusb and build the unit. The output is fine but not as good as a lot of discrete DACs that cost a lot more. This solution provides for your later growth into a real DAC for great sound.

Check Hagerman Technology LLC for the HagUSB kit.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 30
What if our budget was less then 150.00? Would the M-Audio Transit give me better quality then the Audio Advantage Micro? Is it really worth the extra money to get the EMU 0404 usb?

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenm00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if our budget was less then 150.00? Would the M-Audio Transit give me better quality then the Audio Advantage Micro? Is it really worth the extra money to get the EMU 0404 usb?

I'm very interested on this question. Is the EMU 0404 USB worth the extra bucks if you're hardly going to use the recording features? Is the DAC section worth the extra money?

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 30
trends audio ud-10 with external battery completely eliminates the jitter (noise) from computer and BLOWS AWAY every sound card that i have heard!
it is a steal at $149 plus external battery pack !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back