Upgrading sound card.... Suggestions?
Dec 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

powerdpower

Head-Fier
So, I currently have an Asus Xonar DG. I love it! But I know it does not have the best DAC in the world, so I am looking for an upgrade.

My current setup is Xonar DG > FiiO E9 > Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Ohm 

I am looking at either getting another sound card, or possibly an external DAC (if you can convince me!). I have been debating over several soundcards and have come to the conclusion of choosing between the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, or the [size=small]ASUS Xonar Essence ST. [/size]

[size=small]Can you please tell me what your thoughts and feeling are about these two cards. I am leaning towards the ASUS card, as I love how it does not have tons of crap to install unlike the Creative card... But the creative card is also cheaper. And of course, which one is better overall in terms of sound quality.[/size]

[size=small]Just in case it helps, some of the music types I listen to are:[/size]
[size=small]Almost anything electronic[/size]
[size=small]Rock[/size]
[size=small]Alt Rock[/size]
[size=small]Acoustic Solo[/size]
[size=small]Classical[/size]
[size=small]Indie[/size]
[size=small]and movie soundtracks![/size]

[size=small]As always, thanks for any and all help![/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
So, I currently have an Asus Xonar DG. I love it! But I know it does not have the best DAC in the world, so I am looking for an upgrade.
My current setup is Xonar DG > FiiO E9 > Beyerdynamic DT 990 250Ohm 
I am looking at either getting another sound card, or possibly an external DAC (if you can convince me!). I have been debating over several soundcards and have come to the conclusion of choosing between the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, or the [size=small]ASUS Xonar Essence ST. [/size]
[size=small]Can you please tell me what your thoughts and feeling are about these two cards. I am leaning towards the ASUS card, as I love how it does not have tons of crap to install unlike the Creative card... But the creative card is also cheaper. And of course, which one is better overall in terms of sound quality.[/size]
[size=small]Just in case it helps, some of the music types I listen to are:[/size]
[size=small]Almost anything electronic[/size]
[size=small]Rock[/size]
[size=small]Alt Rock[/size]
[size=small]Acoustic Solo[/size]
[size=small]Classical[/size]
[size=small]Indie[/size]
[size=small]and movie soundtracks![/size]

The Essence ST and Fiio E9 use the same headphone amplifier chip (6120A2) so are about equal.
So sell off your Xonar DG and Fiio E9 and use the cash towards the Essence ST, I prefer the cheaper STX.

The Titanium HD does not come with a true headphone amplifier, but is still decent at driving headphones.
You can easily connect the Fiio E9 to the RCA outputs on the Titanium HD and still use the Titanium HD's headphone surround sound features.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 5
The Essence ST and Fiio E9 use the same headphone amplifier chip (6120A2) so are about equal.
So sell off your Xonar DG and Fiio E9 and use the cash towards the Essence ST, I prefer the cheaper STX.

The Titanium HD does not come with a true headphone amplifier, but is still decent at driving headphones.
You can easily connect the Fiio E9 to the RCA outputs on the Titanium HD and still use the Titanium HD's headphone surround sound features.

That is what I was planning on doing, use the Titanium HD as a DAC and for the headphone surround.

But my question is... Which one has the better sound quality (DAC)? Titanium HD or the ST/STX?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
That is what I was planning on doing, use the Titanium HD as a DAC and for the headphone surround.
But my question is... Which one has the better sound quality (DAC)? Titanium HD or the ST/STX?

I believe the Titanium HD's PCM1794 DAC chip is a little better then the STX/ST's PCM1792A DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back