Upgrading questions
Oct 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZaWorld

New Head-Fier
Currently have a set of grado sr 60s with a fiio e5 amp. I want to upgrade to a hd 650 or d2000s. Will I notice a significant difference in audio quality when I upgrade? With my fiio e5 amp I barely noticed any difference so I don't know if my ears are bad.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Personally, I found the E5 to be only used for convenience or for a decent bass boost. It makes thing louder, but doesn't really provide sufficient amping for anything really. There's a big difference up from the SR60's. If you like the SR60 sound, the HD650 will be a shocker. I personally disliked the SR60's, but I really like the Alessandro MS-1i, I found it to be a significant difference.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 7
I too have heard the Fiio is not much of an amp. If you were to upgrade your pair of phones you will surely hear a difference though.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm hardly surprised you don't notice any improvement in SQ from a Fiio. Besides, lower end Grado's don't really gain much from amping.

A Fiio doesn't even deserve to be called an amp; it's a loudness button. And phones that require desktop powered maps aren't going to get anything from it.

As already suggested, if you want to upgrade to something like a 650, you need to consider your source, as well proper amplification.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 7
If you're looking to take that magical upgrade step to a pair of 650's and such, then you must also consider getting a worthwhile amp and DAC or amp/DAC combo - look to spending at least what you spend on headphones on the other components in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back